WW1 Rules available for play testing

Started by DanJ, 23 June 2010, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

DanJ

Hi,

I recently spent a few days in Ypres and St Quentin without wife, dog or other distractions, just visiting sites and museums. 

While away I took the opportunity to give the rules a good going over and spotted several omissions and anomalies, mainly to do with changing the order and combat systems from a D10s to D6s.

I'm now editing them out, changing the font and layout to improve readabiity and adding a random events section to the apendixes, so the rules as currently available are still a work in progress.

Hopefully I'll be getting some critical feed back from this and other sources which I'll also feed into the rules.

Incidentally I'm grateful for any feedback no matter how critical, I don't mind someone saying the rules are aweful providing they have good reasons for their opinion, if it something I agree with I'll change the rules, if not I can explain why the rules take the form they have.

Dan

Trollslayer

Dan, hello. Just joined the forum after downloading your ruleset. A few of use have been trying to find a good set and have playtested yours tonight. Overall we liked the way they played and will be continuing the game next week (so they cant be bad!). A few questions have arisen.
How do you determine what guns and their sizes are available for off table bombardments?
The early set had modifiers for Veterans when firing but these are omitted from V.4, is this correct?
I hope you are still working on them and others could give further feedback.
Keep it up. ;)

DanJ

Hi Trollslayer,

Glad you like the rules, I'd thought this thread had died so haven't been posting anything here, I have indeed been busy and things have progressed considerably since BetaV4 which is the version you probably have.

The rules have been through BetaV5, V6 and V6i, to arrive at a Production V1 set :-\.

I've tried to simplify as much as possible, especially the command system to make it better reflect the development of tactics and training over the course of the war, 1914 games are quite a bit simpler than late 1918 ones.  They also include rules for things like SOS fire and air attacks.

If you drop me an email I'll send on a copy and if you and your club think they are better I'll ask Leon post the updated set here.

As far as your specific questions are concerned:

QuoteHow do you determine what guns and their sizes are available for off table bombardments?

We work on a simple rule of thumb of 1 field battery per Regiment/Brgade and 1 battery of heavies per side, the the deep supression rolls makes it harder for defending artillery to play an effective part in the battle.  Super heavy artillery can be attached if required but it can be devastating should should be used with circumspection.

QuoteThe early set had modifiers for Veterans when firing but these are omitted from V.4, is this correct?

Yes, after a lot of discussion we decided that this made veterans too powerful, in the new version of the rules verterans add +1 to their order die which means that if they roll a 6 this becomes a 7 which allows them to perform 2 actions, moving and shooting etc.  It feels better.

Dan

Trollslayer

Dan

Glad to see its not dead. We think you have the basis of a good playable set of rules there. What happens to command stands when suppressed/killed? This happened due to a rolling barrage.
Your email is hidden on your profile, is it safe to post here??
Ian

DanJ

Hi Ian,

I've sent you a private message with my email.

Again I've forgotten what happened to supressed stands in V4 but in the current version (which now seems quite stable) you apply a -1 to it's order die roll for every separate cause of supression. i.e. if a command stand is supressed due to a rolling barrage and is then caught by a mortar and supressed again this counts as two levels of supression and the stand issues (or tries to issue) orders with a -2 modifier.  All command stand supression is removed at the end of that players next turn so command supression is relatively temporary.

If a command stand is killed then it is imediately replaced with a new stand as the next ranking officer automatically takes over.  However this new command stand has a permanent -1 on all order rolls to reflect not only the loss of the CO but the new commander's inexperience and loss of key command personel like runners etc.

ciaphas

Hi, jumping in a little late here, are the rules at the top of this the final draft?

thanks
jon

Leon

Quote from: ciaphas on 27 July 2011, 06:53:28 PM
Hi, jumping in a little late here, are the rules at the top of this the final draft?

The ones in the first post are an older copy now, I believe they've gone through a couple of changes since then.  I'm sure DanJ will confirm.

Quote from: DanJ on 20 June 2011, 11:16:06 AM
The rules have been through BetaV5, V6 and V6i, to arrive at a Production V1 set :-\.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

DanJ

The version on the site are now quite old and have had a lot of changes made to them.

I'm currently waiting on feedback from a couple of groups before sending Leon the latest version.

If anyone wants a copy of the current set just send me a private email and I'll send them a copy.

Dan

Lightningf6

Hi, I can't get the V4 version to open. It says the file is damaged. Anyone else had this problem?

Leon

Quote from: Lightningf6 on 22 January 2012, 03:18:37 PM
Hi, I can't get the V4 version to open. It says the file is damaged. Anyone else had this problem?

I'll have a look when I get to work tomorrow, I think I've still got the file on the work machine, so I can re-upload it.

DanJ

Hi Leon,

I'll send you the latest vesrion later on today.

Dan

DanJ

Leon,

I've just done the new PDFs but can't remember how to get them to you

Please remind me.

Dan

Leon

Quote from: DanJ on 24 January 2012, 04:23:55 PM
I've just done the new PDFs but can't remember how to get them to you

Please remind me.

You can pop them through on the Pendraken email (d.pengilley@btinternet.com) if you like?  I think when we spoke on the phone last, you were unsure how big the files were, so if they're too big for the email, you could always pop them on a CD and send them up to us?

DanJ

Hi,

Latest copy of rules just emailed, files are quite manageable.

Wifey has agreed to holiday in late June and early July so it's looking good for the party.  :D