my first 10mm AWI

Started by chalkie, 22 August 2013, 04:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

22 August 2013, 07:11:12 PM #15 Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 07:14:29 PM by Fenton
With 10mm its all about how they look as units...its very hard to judge 10mm stuff when the photographs are taken so close

As others in here might agree you paint the unit not the figure
Greater contrast is the way to go with smaller figures I think
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

get2grips

22 August 2013, 08:26:06 PM #16 Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 08:27:44 PM by get2grips
Quote from: chalkie on 22 August 2013, 07:03:45 PM
So would you say that these figures arent that good then ?

Not at all, this is a really good start.  You have skill but it takes practise to adjust to 10mm.  Try applying a really gentle wash, it will calm everything down  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Honestly, 10mm is a whole new skill set, but keep it up, en masse these will look superb. If you look at mine they are all slightly out as I paint 120 at a time...
And I base, ink, then highlight then detail. You just need to find what suits you. Keep at it.  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

get2grips

Aye, and remember that for a 10mm mini, this an EXTREME close up.   :)

chalkie

Yeh I understand that the unit effect is going to be more important than the individual base or figure, it's just that some of these techniques I've never done before, I don't have washes but will have to get some. Thanks forthe comments , I will put another pic up of the whole unit see what you all think then  :)

Fenton

Personally I prefer the Windsor and Newton ones Peat and Nut Brown are the ones I use most of...
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

get2grips

As Lemmey says you really have to find your own way: take a mish-mash of all the advice and make it yours.  Maybe washes aren't for you but those faces are crying out for one IMHO.

Given the brush skill you clearly have, you can easily paint in the white webbing lines rather than dry-brushing them.  This will give a much cleaner effect.

Look forward to the next installment  :-bd

Duke Speedy of Leighton

22 August 2013, 09:30:36 PM #22 Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 09:55:13 PM by mad lemmey
Windsor & Newton sepia for me, or B&q acrylic wood stain, watered down 50%...

Waterweed optional...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

get2grips

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 August 2013, 09:30:36 PM
Windsor & Newton sepia for me, or B&q acrylic wood stain, waterweed down 50%...

Where can I buy waterweed???   ;D

Fenton

Quote from: get2grips on 22 August 2013, 09:33:30 PM
Where can I buy waterweed???   ;D

Any good ornamental fish supplier should stock it

get2grips

Duke Speedy of Leighton

get2grips

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 August 2013, 09:55:34 PM
Edited, bloody machines

No, I'm quite looking forward to painting my new centurions in it thanks to Fenton... :D

Fenton

Makes great foliage camouflage

get2grips