my first 10mm AWI

Started by chalkie, 22 August 2013, 04:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chalkie

Tis is my first ever10mm paint job. Be gentle...lol

chalkie

Pics are a bit naff for sime reason.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

chalkie

Iam not sure , these are a few I had spare, I've dry brushed the waistcoat and cross belts to get the black shading effect but still not to sure.

Fenton

the paint looks quite thick by looking at the photos
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

kev1964

Hi Chalkie,

Coming on well, i havn't used washes before but it might be worth putting one on now, black or light brownish, but the guys who use them are the ones to ask.
I black under coat and leave a very thin black line between jacket, trousers , straps etc when putting the base coats on, it picks out the detail more, but it depends on how quick you want them on the table though as to the way you go about painting them. Look forward to seeing more,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Coming along nicely Chalkie.
Cheers - Phil.

get2grips

Good start: agree with the wash suggestion, it helps calm a figure down and "tie" it together.

Don't know how long it is since you picked up a brush but you clearly have good control.

Nice job  :-bd

chalkie

I agree Fenton the paint does look a bit thick, it's the white cross belts and waist coat that is getting to me, just looks messy but if the dry brush way is meant to look like that then I will go for that. I will keep on at it.

chalkie

fred.

When dry brushing you want very little paint on the brush (this is the dry bit) but the paint probably wants to be quite thin.

Get some paint on the brush, then wipe most of it off on a tissue. To check if you have the right amount of paint on the brush, I often do a practice swipe on something, a painting stick, or the wooden base of the figures can be useful for this. If this gives a light coat of paint then you are probably OK. Then do a light swipe over the figure.
Aim to do two or three light swipes rather than 1 heavy one.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

get2grips

Personally, and especially on 10mm minis, I hate drybrushing except at the very start of the process.  I never use it to finish.

get2grips

Fenton

Quote from: get2grips on 22 August 2013, 06:24:09 PM
Personally, and especially on 10mm minis, I hate drybrushing except at the very start of the process.  I never use it to finish.

I would agree with this...better a good quality 000 brush and just paint the cross belts in

The only thing I drybrush now iis chain or plate armour
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

chalkie

So would you say that these figures arent that good then ?