Largest sheet of engraved Hexes?

Started by Si Tyler, 21 August 2013, 09:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Si Tyler

Leon,
been off doing stuff other than wargaming for a couple of months but getting back in the saddle.

If I wanted you to make a couple of large engraved hex board in 2mm MDF what is the maximum sized sheet that you can handle with 1 1/2" hexes and what would be the best orientation to get most hexes on it.  The end state is a table with about 40 hex columns with 52 hexes in each column. Happy to have a couple of additional hexes in either direction if it fits.

The 4 x 6 hex ones you did for me before would work but am looking at something which has less moving parts and hopefully would cost me a bit less.

The project is to replicate this http://cag19.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Colours  which I started doing on 2" hexes but want a bit more flexibility in size to include the missing areas. Plus MDF is a lot easier than felt to paint  ;) and it means I can remove the need for some of the game markers.

Fenton

Interesting....I could be interested in something like this...I fancy doing some 3D Battletech boards with a base then separate hexes for woods and hills etc
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Si Tyler

Depending on Leon's answer I will be adding the terrain directly to the boards.  Currently it is separate and it is a pain to set up (due to the size and complexity of the map).  Normally the action is either USN from the Top of the Map or the USAF from the bottom so really want to be able to add/remove the ends as needed.  But also want to be able to add the Thanh Hoa section (not shown) in the future.

barbarian

Wouldn't be easier to store and cheaper to print it ?
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Si Tyler

Thought about printing becomes a question of longevity.  I don't always get to game at home so wanted something a bit more substantial. 

GordonY

Like Fenton I'd be very interested in a 3D Battletech board, thats my least liked bit of Battletech the flat as a pancake playing surface.

Leon

The MDF sheets we use are 600x300mm, and we need to leave around 5mm margin at the edges, so you've got a working area of 295x595mm.  With the hex's laid on their side (flat edge to the top/bottom), we can get 7 rows into the 295mm, and then somewhere around 15 columns I'd think (although I'd have to check my calculations on that). 

:-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

barbarian

I was talking about printing a canvas...
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Si Tyler

Leon
7 high is about right as that drops just under a foot off the end.  How many offset rows would that give in 590mm - 16?

I would need 24 - 32 sheets in total. Can you drop me a PM about rough costs.  Might have to re-think this

Leon

Quote from: Si Tyler on 21 August 2013, 07:09:48 PM
7 high is about right as that drops just under a foot off the end.  How many offset rows would that give in 590mm - 16?

Somewhere around that, I need to double check the width on the hex's to confirm how many we can fit in.

Quote from: Si Tyler on 21 August 2013, 07:09:48 PM
I would need 24 - 32 sheets in total. Can you drop me a PM about rough costs.  Might have to re-think this.

Will do, no bother.  If you're talking 24-32 full 300x600mm sheets, it might start to get pricey...

:-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

Just to update, we can fit 7 rows high, by 17 columns wide on one of our sheets?