mdf bases

Started by Fenton, 15 August 2013, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Hi Guys

Just wondered what the chance would be of getting some 1mm mdf bases?

cheers
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

As far as I know, the smallest mdf is 2mm. Not seen anything thinner.

Leon

:D

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6960.0.html

The 0.8mm plywood is still very expensive, and the 1mm MDF linked in the other thread is also about 3x higher than the current laser MDF I get.  We'd also need to check the 1mm stuff was laserable.  As I mentioned in that thread, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to pay the premium for thinner bases?  £3 a pack seems a little pricey to me.

:-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

Fair enough Leon...I just font like thick bases, and wanted some for my 1/600 stuff as well as re-basing some 10mm stuff

Just thought I would ask again

Thanks anyway
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Steel bases are about £3 for 20 of 20x40mm - these are under 1mm.

So it may be that thin wooden ones at that sort of price could sell?

Can you get a small amount of board from your supplier so that you can try selling them, without too much risk?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

GordonY

To be honest I'm actually looking for 3mm MDF bases, I know that seems very thick but I'd like them for my 1:1200 Napoleonic ships, easier to pick up by the base then rather than the ship.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 15 August 2013, 08:34:58 PM
Just wondered what the chance would be of getting some 1mm mdf bases?

Quote from: GordonY on 15 August 2013, 10:43:48 PM
To be honest I'm actually looking for 3mm MDF bases, I know that seems very thick but I'd like them for my 1:1200 Napoleonic ships, easier to pick up by the base then rather than the ship.

Catering to the whims of wargamers ... it's what professional cat herders do when they want a challenge  ;D ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

Quote from: fred    12df on 15 August 2013, 09:13:03 PM
Steel bases are about £3 for 20 of 20x40mm - these are under 1mm.

So it may be that thin wooden ones at that sort of price could sell?

Can you get a small amount of board from your supplier so that you can try selling them, without too much risk?

The 1mm stuff is a different supplier, but I can give it a go, along with the 0.8mm ply maybe?  It's not much trouble to keep a small supply of it in the corner of the unit and offer it as 'cut to order' only.

Quote from: GordonY on 15 August 2013, 10:43:48 PM

I can do 3mm for any of the sizes on the website, as I've always got 3mm MDF in stock here.  If you ever need them, just order as normal through the Minibits site, and pop me an email to remind me about the 3mm instead.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 August 2013, 11:32:27 PM
Catering to the whims of wargamers ... it's what professional cat herders do when they want a challenge  ;D ;D ;D

:D

Always happy to help out...

...and I like a challenge!

;D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

Excellent news Leon, I shall measure up the lumps of thick card that they're mounted on and make a list of sizes (though nor Nappy ships its pretty much one size fits all) and add it to my next order (Saxons for Arthurian wargaming).

Leon

Quote from: GordonY on 16 August 2013, 02:16:48 AM
Excellent news Leon, I shall measure up the lumps of thick card that they're mounted on and make a list of sizes (though nor Nappy ships its pretty much one size fits all) and add it to my next order (Saxons for Arthurian wargaming).

8)