Workstation

Started by Womble67, 14 August 2013, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonY

Those are all way too clean and tidy, I have a 6 foot by 3 foot desk, and the working area of that is appoximately A5, the rest I'm assured by SWMBO is all crap, me I see it as stuff waiting to be painted/assembled and all the paint/glue/flock/sand that I need to get the other stuff on the table.

Leman

Blokes always seem to work best in organised chaos. I had a mate round today to borrow/swipe some 28mm pikes. Finally found them in the 8th box. However the search then led to coffee and bikkies on the patio and a good old wargames chat resulting in me being able to put my next order to the Perry's on his postage. Excellent!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 26 August 2013, 10:20:47 PM
Blokes always seem to work best in organised chaos.
Allegedly ......It's a sign of a creative mind.
Good excuse eh ??  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 26 August 2013, 10:20:47 PM
Blokes always seem to work best in organised chaos.

In that case I must have designed Norway

Slarty Bartfast.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Well.....

You can do Africa now.....And I don't want to see any fjords. :D
Cheers - Dent Arthurdent

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil - surely you are the Late Dent, ArthurDent

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

get2grips

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 27 August 2013, 12:03:32 PM
Phil - surely you are the Late Dent, ArthurDent
IanS
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: get2grips on 27 August 2013, 12:04:41 PM
Blame the mice  :D
Well....One of our dogs is supposedly called Benjie....But he's hardly the size of a mouse.  ;) ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Leman

How on Earth did we get from wargamers' workstations to the fjords of Norway? This forum never ceases to amaze me!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 27 August 2013, 04:04:28 PM
How on Earth did we get from wargamers' workstations to the fjords of Norway? This forum never ceases to amaze me!

We can normally get from any subject to Totty in a fairly low number of posts.  :D

We also can occsionally rise to gutter level!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 27 August 2013, 07:43:40 PM
We also can occsionally rise to gutter level!

We have to be careful that doesn't happen too often.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

27 August 2013, 09:25:17 PM #26 Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 10:32:12 PM by Last Hussar
I'm very sorry to do this, but this will be on topic...

I hate painting, especially Union and Prussians (can't see the detail on the dark blue).  However I needed to paint 120 union to match up with the 117 that Nik sold me (his in the front rank, mine in the rear where they can't been seen.) and I need to crack on.

I don't have anywhere I can leave my painting stuff out on a permanent basis (apparently the dining room table is 'covered'...) so I put them in the really Useful Box hobby tray the finished stuff was already in.  Found I painted a lot faster, as easy to put away/get out.  Also divides them up in to nice manageable bits- get up 16 in one compartment - usually have 12 at the most, or sometimes 1 compartment per base-worth.

So I had a cunning plan.

9l Really useful Box, with 2 hobby trays, and a lipped office organiser one.

Bottom tray - Current Work In Progress
2nd tray - paints.  These are taller than the tray, which is why there is no 3rd tray.

Top tray - lipped organiser.  Lipped means it hangs on the top, so the oversize paint pots dont matter, and it has long compartments made for pens and rulers, but ideal for brushes and stuff.

IMAG0178 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

IMAG0176 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

IMAG0177 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

Takes seconds to unpack and pack up.  Paint one compartments worth at a time.  Doing 12 in one go is less daunting - "When I've finished this row I can have a cup of tea" - lots of little milestones, rather than face 120 figures in a row.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

get2grips

Quote from: Last Hussar on 27 August 2013, 09:25:17 PM

Takes seconds to unpack and pack up.  Paint one compartments worth at a time.  Doing 12 in one go is less daunting - "When I've finished this row I can have a cup of tea" - lots of little milestones, rather than face 120 figures in a row.

Bloody hell, I'm not even THAT organised at work!  :)

Last Hussar

Its the only chance I'll have!  Mrs moans if I leave stuff out (anything.  Apparently anything of mine in the house not the garage is making the ENTIRE house look a mess.)  This way I don't have to wprry about it being 'tidied up' or my youngest 'just having a look'.  Plus they don't fall on the floor when I move them this way.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno

Very impressive LH ! :-bd
Cheers - Phil