Skraelings - Vikings v Indians

Started by irregularwars, 13 August 2013, 01:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irregularwars

Just out of interest, does anyone think it would be feasible to create a force of a dozen Skraelings out of the Pendraken ranges? I play Song of Arthur and Merlin in 10mm and with the recent chat about vikings in canada i have a niggling urge to let my Saxons double as vikings and scrap with the natives.

I know the AWI range has a couple of packs of indians but i suspect these are mostly musket armed...
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

The FIW range has Indians as well, but not sure on weapons?

Ithoriel

OK, possibly just confirming peoples suspicions that I'm completely mad but how about these?

AI11 - Forest tribesmen, bow/javelin (Period: Ancients / Range: Indian)

I know, I know, wrong sort of Indians and all that but ... bow, spear ... feathers in their hair ... bit of creative painting, might they do?

You could try and sweet talk Leon into selling you some of the French Indian Wars figures with clubs to add both variety and verisimilitude :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

irregularwars

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 August 2013, 02:38:11 PM
AI11 - Forest tribesmen, bow/javelin (Period: Ancients / Range: Indian)
I know, I know, wrong sort of Indians and all that but ... bow, spear ... feathers in their hair ... bit of creative painting, might they do?

I think they would be great as Carib/Arawak or even Tupi Indians but I suspect that Skraelings would look far more Huron/Mohawk.

It was the FIW range I was thinking of (not AWI) but on closer inspection there seem to be guns aplenty...

FI13

FI20

Oh well, back to the drawing board  :-\
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dunnadd

I got the impression that historically Skraelings were in Greenland and Iceland - so Inuit / Eskimos - but might have been a term the vikings used to cover US mainland Indians too, since we know they got there a few times, even if no long term settlements survived there

Ithoriel

The Norse called the inhabitants of Vinland "skraeling." My understanding is that these days skraelingi is any foreigner.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

All these East Europeans eh! Where are they all coming from?
(adapted from "The Rantings of a Bigoted Old Woman" by G.Brown.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Ignoring they're from another company (tm) (sorry Leon & co.), and that they're technically Pony Wars, would Lancashires Indians with bows & spear/tomahawks suffice?

http://lancashiregames.com/littlewarsstore/
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting