Japanese and jungle base advices requested

Started by greatpatton, 18 June 2010, 09:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatpatton

I'm about to make some Japanese (just receive my order of these beautiful new miniatures!) and would like to make nice jungle bases for them.
I have a lot of experience with western and eastern European theatre basing technique, but I have to say that jungle is something completely new to me.

Can someone provide me advice to make things that look realistic and that cannot be mistaken for some part of Normandy!  :D

Oh and by the way, if some of you have a good colour chart (Vallejo preferred) for Jap, it will be also helpful to get me started.

Thanks!

FierceKitty

Most Japanese battles would have been fought on sandy or grassy terrain: much easier for the cavalry and pikemen, and for massed fire from archers and matchlocks. Just flock the bases if you want a pretty finish.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 June 2010, 12:08:01 PM
Most Japanese battles would have been fought on sandy or grassy terrain: much easier for the cavalry and pikemen, and for massed fire from archers and matchlocks. Just flock the bases if you want a pretty finish.

I think he's asking about WW2 Japs.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

19 June 2010, 12:02:00 AM #3 Last Edit: 19 June 2010, 11:44:00 AM by nikharwood
He certainly is...

greatpatton: your best bet for jungle terrain is to have a look at some source images & go from there - you'll need some palms & some nice thick clump foliage...I find that a load of lichen bunged on-table can help with achieving a nice density 'feel' - have a look at my WIP Vietnam batrep here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=710.0

As for Jap colours - this thread gives you some pointers & other links to click-through: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=89549

greatpatton

Some (bad) pictures of my first test (will retake the pictures...):

nikharwood

YORSTONS

Where did you get those funky palm trees from? Or how did you make them?

FierceKitty

Well, they're using the Date mon on the flag. Not toooooo far from the real thing.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.