Warmaster

Started by Baconheimer, 01 August 2013, 02:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andys

24 November 2013, 02:54:30 PM #15 Last Edit: 24 November 2013, 03:06:10 PM by andys
I've had a bit of a trawl through the Warmaster Army lists and - allowing that the Pendraken site is rather lacking in photos, so I could be wrong - the following figures generally seem to be unavailable for use as proxies. I've also had a quick look around other manufacturers sites as well before compiling this list.

Empire - Steam Tank, Wizard, Griffon

Undead - Carrion, Sphinx, Zombie Dragon

Chaos - Most of the list!

Orc - Wyvern

High Elf - Dragon

Skaven - Doom Wheel, Screaming Bell

Bretonnian - Enchantress (on Unicorn?)

Kislev - Bears, Shaman

Dark Elves - Harpies, War Hydra, Sorceress, Manticore, Cauldron of Blood

Vampire Counts - Vampire, Necromancer

Daemons - Most of the list!

Araby - Magic Carpets, Wizard, Djinn

Leaving aside the very GW specific items above, a common theme seems to be lack of magic using figures, many lists not having suitable male/female spell casting substitute figures available.

I wonder if there's any mileage in producing a pack of spell casters? Perhaps placed in the Fantasy-Accessories range, either as a pack of 10(?) varied figures based on the above list, or as individual figures sold separately. Filling in the gaps of the Warmaster Army lists would also encourage folks to buy other items from a manufacturers range to build an army, so for the effort of producing a few magical figures, a manufacturer could see increased sales of other, more basic, infantry/cavalry figures that they already make?

For example, my next project will be an Araby army. Pendraken make most of what I'd need but there's a noticable lack of flying carpets and Djinns available on the market! Surely someone could make some generic flying carpets that buyers could add their own figures to? Would a Djinn (a generic genie coming out of a lamp) be too much to ask for?

Large dragony-type creatures (and other fantastical beasts), in the style of GW's ex-offerings also seem lacking. There are a few available from various manufacturers but they all seem to be rather basic and don't have as much "presence" as the GW ones - another gap in the market?

fred.

I agree on the general lack of chaos and demon figures in 10mm.

There are a few wizards in the Pendraken range. fantasy accessories has a human one with staff and beard, the high elf  one is quite generic. Also in the late roman range there is a at least one chap who makes a good leader. But yes, more would be better.

There are a couple of steam tank options, I think Pendraken have one in both Dwarves and Ratmen, and kallistra have one.

For the bigger monsters have a look at 15mm ranges,
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

For Undead Carrion - three of either FU25 Flying Vulture (1) or AC12 Swarm of Bats (1)

FME14 Dragon Lancer would do as a High Elf Dragon Rider/ Hero on Dragon with a suitable paint job

AC31 Unicorns (5) - Bretonnian Enchantress with unicorn and invisibility spell?? :)

For Vampires - FU13 Vampires?

As fred12df said there are a number of wizardy types in various ranges

That said, I think the Fantasy range is now the weakest of the existing Pendraken ranges in terms of sculpting and would love to see a revamp
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

andys

Ok, a couple of replies, thanks guys.  :)

The lack of photos make it difficult for a potential buyer to determine whether or not what is available ia suitable - that can't be good for sales.

The second thing I'm picking up is "Room for improvement" on the fantasy range.

Perhaps photos and a few new figures would sort out at least some of those criticisms?