6mm European farmstead made from cardstock

Started by notabot-Tom, 21 July 2013, 02:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notabot-Tom

Trying to learn how to load pictures here. Thought I would use one of some scenery for the game table.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

notabot-Tom

Thanks, Fenton. No. The one on the left I designed and printed from Model Builder software. The other two on on the right are free downloads from www.grundschule-pretzschendorf.de . They are already in 1/300th scale. If your printer will allow for it, increasing the size to 187% should get you very close to being 1:160th. There is enough room on the sheet to accommodate and reolution does not seem to be too lost.

With model builder software, I can design from scratch with the use of templates, to any scale. (You can even design something to 1: 147 if you had a need to as the program will automatically resize everything for you. The trick is to mentally accept using "paper" buildings instead of resin, plastic or metal. From the results I have had, they seem to hold up pretty well to fat fingered gamers like myself, and the results...well, you can see for yourself. Best part is that you can design that one-off structure you just can't find anywhere. I have even made buildings that get glued onto LEGO blocks! Will try to shoot some pics of those AFTER getting some figure pictures doctored up. It's been a long time since I shot photos for my old catalog and had to get new software to work on my computer here. Big learning curve.

I started a blog with sharing some artifacts from various museums here in Europe. http://[email]www.theartofminiaturegaming@gmail.com[/email]

Thanks again, Fenton.

Tom

Steve J

Nice buildings Tom. Unfortunately your link does not work :(.

Fenton

I have never heard of this software. Is it easy to use?...Do you need good design knowledge or are there template's you can use?

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

notabot-Tom

http://theartofminiaturegaming.blogspot.de/    That is the cut and paste from the blog. Sorry! I am new to this blogging thing!

Google "Model Builder" software. They are out of Colorado, USA. While I am from there, I got mine while in Germany, as a download with the brick builder add-on. Their website has a tutorial. I made a building the first day I got it. I've had good luck using 44 pound/165g/m suqared Epson matte presentation paper. Be sure to use a SHARP xacto and metal straight edge. I use UHU glue (to me, that stuff is like superglue for paper!) I have no connection to this company other than they are in the same state, but have spent many hours having fun!

Recently (a year ago?) I discovered an entire mideval walled town in 1/300th scale, kit. "Mittelalterliche Kleinstadt sold by Schreiber-Bogen Kartonmodelbau. (Sorry, you will have to google for a URL. Their webiste shows it all assembled from many angles). At 12.80 Euros, I couldn't get the money out fast enough! From the looks of it, they used Rothenburg or Nordlingen as inspiration. Both still exist as walled cities and I highly recommend taking a visit one day. The firm Preiser is in Rothenburg. Their injection molded plastic figures and vehicles are supurb! I will use the N scale civilians to populate my N scale towns, for WWII and Modern games. Without first seeing Leon's for the H&M period (waiting on my order), I will certainly use his for my SYW /WSS projects in 10mm. Nothing like fleeing civilians clogging the roads to delay the arrival of reinforcements without detailling some cav unit to play traffic cop! Lose victory points if you intentionally harm any of them who are NOT offering resistance! Of course, are they truly resisting you?.....

Thanks for the comeback. Please, let me know what you think of the software presentation. The use of their templates is very intuative and cut and paste where you want. There are rulers across the top and sides to aid you in placement. All good stuff Also, try searching for "evan Designs"

Tom

Fenton

Quote from: notabot-Tom on 21 July 2013, 11:42:15 AM
http://theartofminiaturegaming.blogspot.de/    That is the cut and paste from the blog. Sorry! I am new to this blogging thing!

Google "Model Builder" software. They are out of Colorado, USA. While I am from there, I got mine while in Germany, as a download with the brick builder add-on. Their website has a tutorial. I made a building the first day I got it. I've had good luck using 44 pound/165g/m suqared Epson matte presentation paper. Be sure to use a SHARP xacto and metal straight edge. I use UHU glue (to me, that stuff is like superglue for paper!) I have no connection to this company other than they are in the same state, but have spent many hours having fun!

Recently (a year ago?) I discovered an entire mideval walled town in 1/300th scale, kit. "Mittelalterliche Kleinstadt sold by Schreiber-Bogen Kartonmodelbau. (Sorry, you will have to google for a URL. Their webiste shows it all assembled from many angles). At 12.80 Euros, I couldn't get the money out fast enough! From the looks of it, they used Rothenburg or Nordlingen as inspiration. Both still exist as walled cities and I highly recommend taking a visit one day. The firm Preiser is in Rothenburg. Their injection molded plastic figures and vehicles are supurb! I will use the N scale civilians to populate my N scale towns, for WWII and Modern games. Without first seeing Leon's for the H&M period (waiting on my order), I will certainly use his for my SYW /WSS projects in 10mm. Nothing like fleeing civilians clogging the roads to delay the arrival of reinforcements without detailling some cav unit to play traffic cop! Lose victory points if you intentionally harm any of them who are NOT offering resistance! Of course, are they truly resisting you?.....

Thanks for the comeback. Please, let me know what you think of the software presentation. The use of their templates is very intuative and cut and paste where you want. There are rulers across the top and sides to aid you in placement. All good stuff Also, try searching for "evan Designs"

Tom

Oh crap I am going to have to buy some of these buildings from http://www.schreiber-bogen.com/

notabot-Tom

HEHE! Awesome stuff, isn't it? After spending most of the afternoon (so far) playing around making scenery, I think I will use these 6mm for use in 10mm games. I can get 6-8 6mm buildings into the same foot print as 3 10mm buildings. To my mind's image, 3 buildings just does not convince me there is a sizeable built-up area there; but 6-8 is easier to suspend that disbelief. Here is how I will use them:

Of course, a battalion inside of a town just cannot deploy in any sort of formation. Also, in order to "hold" the ville, the unit must have folks all over the place. So when an enemy approaches, I will have them roll a 1D8. If the unit's firepower is, say 10, then whatever the roll, that becomes how much firepower can come from that side of town. If any FP left over, it can be used in another direction. Same process is used until either the unit runs out of FP or sides to fire from! Any left over FP is still with the rest of the unit somewhere in town. "Sergeant....check the Golden Hen for more troops!" Repeated each turn. remember, in a grand tactical game where you are the Brigade or wing commander, you do not have local control over everyone. Make sense? ;)

Remember, it's the width and depth that counts, not the vertical with the models. Have fun! Tom

sunjester

I used to use paper buildings all the time, until I built up my collection of resin and still do when I need a lot of houses on the table. I think they are fine for 10mm. I found this site useful for European buildings, and they are free!

http://www.grundschule-pretzschendorf.de/Werken/Weihnachtsberg/weihnachtsberg.html

notabot-Tom

Indeed that is a great free site! I have many of them built and you sure cannot beat the price! Thanks for posting that url here for those that might want to try their hand...for free! Across the street from me is an old, used toy store. I have piced up a LOT of plastic , already made Faller, Heljan, Vollmer, Kibri, etc. buildings really cheap In HO, N and Z gauge sizes), but I keep coming back to these paper ones. Dunno why.....they seem to have this "charm" about them. 

Fenton

A couple of years back I downloaded some free buildings from Paul Dennis that were first released back in 1980 but I cant find the site anymore

notabot-Tom

Fenton. Could you maybe mean PETER Dennis? Drop me an email. I may have it bookmarked somewhere. IIRC. He and Cliff Knight did two rules sets that featured 6mm. A working application of George Jeffres VLB principles. (Naps and ACW, IIRC). George and I were corresponding when he passed. Our mutual friend, Ned Zuparko started a Yahoo Group on his VLB theories (and believe it is still active today!)

But I think you are looking for the wrong Dennis as Peter had several nice sets that included damaged versions when the "good" building was lifted off the base.

My bad attempt at UK Humor: Catherine has been in Labor all day. Labor is a party in the UK. Somehow, I don't think Catherine is having a party delivering her child! ( I do wish them well!....the world is watching....as if she didn't have enough to worry about!)

Fenton

You are right Tom, it was Peter...I am sure I downloaded them free from a site somewhere. I'll drop you an email