Advice for painting tartan

Started by TinyTerrain, 15 July 2013, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

Speaking as a Lowlander, I would have fun and give them some sort of distinguishing character.

You could do the Medieval fantasy:

Or steal colour and pattern from later Lowland fashion:

http://katedaviesdesigns.com/2008/12/10/maud/
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

barbarian

I think it is the kilt that is a late invention. The tartan is much older, but wore on the shoulders...
I may be totally wrong.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

goat major

Quote from: HPFlashman on 15 July 2013, 06:08:57 PM

Anything usable here ?  :D

But these are 10mm figures so you would need to use a smaller tin.
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Dave

As an apprentice i was asked to go get the tartan paint :-[ but could never find it, thanks for the MACDULUX paints :D were can i get them????

Dave

Techno

I must say how impressed I am by the cleanliness of the clothing on those rabble types at the top of the page.
Obviously been down to "Ye Laundromat" earlier in the day. ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Whoever they are, they're up to no good.  :d
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

On a similar tip to Dabes last comment, my dad started working at Cowley in the sixties...
He was sent to stores for the bubble for a spirit measure by the line foreman.

My mum had one. That's how they met...

And that's how the fight started!  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

What I forgot to say last night....If Dave is after some of these paints....
Pick them up straight from the manufacturer......and get them home trying not to let them shake (AT ALL).
The last tins I bought from McB&Q had obviously been well bounced about in transit, and all the stripey colours had merged together in a horrid greeny brown yukky mess.
Totally useless !
Cheers - Phil

OldenBUA

Quote from: Techno on 18 July 2013, 11:21:45 AM
The last tins I bought from McB&Q had obviously been well bounced about in transit, and all the stripey colours had merged together in a horrid greeny brown yukky mess.

You should get this brand then, but remember to stock up on Scotch whiskey, as you need it for brush cleaning...

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Techno

=O =O =O
Stop it !
I'm trying to push putty about.
Cheers - Phil.

OldenBUA

If the next Centurion has a wavy crest, we now know why.  ;D
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Techno

:P
No fsn....Not THAT sort of Centurion. ;)
(If the furry edges on these Mongol 'hats' go squiffy OBA....You're in deep poo !)
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Just for the record, to add Scottish character to the wargames tabletop:

Clan tartan is the thing that was a Victorian invention. Tartan as we recognise it today actually goes back to the 16th century. Any earlier figures can be painted in simple checks and stripes of natural colours.

The plaid (or blanket) was the traditional Highland dress of high and low born -- worn with a shirt. Quality of cloth and tartan may have defined status.

As my link above, the Lowland plaid (maud) can be represented by more sober checks of natural greys and browns -- for no real historical reason but to produce a Highland/Lowland difference on the tabletop.

Both these 'blankets' would give a more Scottish look than cloaks.

For ideas of pre-16th century Scots fashion, you can dress a Pict in checked plaid here: http://www.nms.ac.uk/kids/people_of_the_past/discover_the_picts/dress_like_a_pict.aspx

Pictish dress is described in detail in this PDF: http://eithni.com/referencedesk/TheWell-DressedPict.pdf -- complete with ideas of available colours.

Below: c. 1683

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!