Q of the Week: John Wayne vs Errol Flynn

Started by Leon, 15 June 2010, 02:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

15 June 2010, 02:01:03 AM Last Edit: 22 June 2010, 01:53:30 AM by Leon
- Both men made controversial racial comments on occasion, Wayne against the Native Americans, Flynn against the Jews.

- Both men were serial womanisers, with several marriages, divorces and affairs.

- John Wayne made all the motions to enlist, but would appear to have deliberately avoided it to concentrate on his film career.  

- Errol Flynn wanted and tried to enlist on several occasions, but was rejected every time due to medical issues.

So why is John Wayne hailed as an American icon, one of the greatest ever male actors, and Errol Flynn's legacy is mired in allegations of him being a Nazi-sympathiser?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

DanJ

Maybe because John Wayne built much of his career, either through design or planning, playing the and to some extent creating that great American icon the cowboy? 

Wayne also became a pillar of the establishment, who can forget his "Green Berrets"?

Leveller Mutineer

Could also be the fact that when the Cuban Revolution occurred in 1959 he was photographed next to Castro and was a supporter.  He even made a film about the revolution called 'Cuban Rebel Girls' http://www.scoopy.com/cubanrebelgirls.htm

I may be over egging it but I don't think the US like Cuba ;)

Flynn deserves it for 'Objective Burma'.

Leon

Quote from: Leveller Mutineer on 15 June 2010, 01:08:38 PM
Flynn deserves it for 'Objective Burma'.

It must have been bad, it got banned by the British Film board people!   :)

Quote from: DanJ on 15 June 2010, 09:21:36 AM
Maybe because John Wayne built much of his career, either through design or planning, playing the and to some extent creating that great American icon the cowboy?  

Interesting how his avoiding fighting for his country in the war had no affect on his future career though?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Jim Ando

John Wayne vs Errol Flynn

Errol Flynn every time  he had a bigger tool.

It was a spanner if I recall.

Jim

Leon

Quote from: Jim Ando on 15 June 2010, 06:11:47 PM
John Wayne vs Errol Flynn

Errol Flynn every time  he had a bigger tool.

It was a spanner if I recall.

Jim
:D

Hurley

Simple: America loves winners.

John Wayne always wins and looks like you wanted your dad, grandpa or yourself to look like, also he could have joined the army but he was doing what you wanted to do (as a man in that time).

Flynn is seen as a upper class type and looks like the smug jack ass that runs the factory you work in, also he is weak cause you could get into the army and he can't. 

Perception is reality in holly wood.
warning up salt amounts when talking to this person.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Hurley on 16 June 2010, 12:56:06 AM[..] he could have joined the army but he was doing what you wanted to do (as a man in that time).

Um, what exactly is your definition of 'a man'?

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leon

Is it not because Flynn wasn't American?  And it was easier to paint him as the anti-hero?  It was the CIA who released documents claiming he was involved in helping the Nazi's wasn't it?

Leveller Mutineer

Ooh conspiracy.

He was born in Tasmania, therefore an Aussie.  Was the MCC involved as well as the CIA?

I think we should be told.

Leon

Quote from: Leveller Mutineer on 16 June 2010, 10:58:12 PM
Ooh conspiracy.

He was born in Tasmania, therefore an Aussie.  Was the MCC involved as well as the CIA?

I think we should be told.

The Millennium Challenge Corporation, a US government agency created to reduce poverty through sustainable economic growth?  I'm not sure...

:D

Dave Fielder

John Wayne fought in every American conflict ever known, and won them all. As a result he wins.

Erroyl Flynn - Frankly I don't give a damn.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

FierceKitty

John Wayne WAS a native American, wasn't he? Or where was he born?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

17-21l

Flynn- god damn hansome (sic)- purey said in a ungay way!!- and as English as they come ( Albiet being a criminal (aussie)) JW- just another fascist yankie killing off the rightful owners of their land-knacker!!!

did any of that make sense?????

??? :D
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Because Americans don't like people who can act?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry