Rules Suggestions for gaming WWI East Africa

Started by huascar, 12 March 2010, 12:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huascar

I am looking for rules suggestions for gaming WWI East African (obviously using Pendraken’s excellent range). My current rules of choice for WWI is 19th Century Principles of War, but while these rules are good for massed battles I have found that they are not well suited to smaller, more tactical, company level engagements (which were prevalent in East Africa). I have previously tried the Two Fat Lardies ITLSU rules for WWI Middle East, but (without wishing to cause offence to any lardies fans) the rules are an earlier TFL effort and I found them to be somewhat underdone with quite a bit of ambiguity in the rules and some unbalanced units.   I currently use BKC for 6mm WWII and have considered using them, but my impression is that they work best with mechanised forces not infantry games (I stand to be corrected).

Lately I have been looking at Red Actions from Perfect Captain and Bayonet and Ideology from Peter Pig â€" but I would be grateful for any suggestions on rules (or mods) that others have used for this theatre.

Peter W
Peter W

nikharwood

I think BKC would work for EA WW1 - it works fine for predominantly infantry actions [eg SCW] where there is an element of manoeuvre - where it doesn't do so well is in recreating more static fighting [eg trench warfare WW1] in my opinion.

I reckon you should have a tinker with some stats & then share them with us [& on the BKC forum] - then I'd have an excuse to get some of these in 10mm  8)

Fenton

Hi Guys

I am still waiting for Great War Spearhead 2 to be released...I think hopefully this will be in a few months.

I would also recommend if you can get your hands on it Over the Top the old command decision version  Does East Africa very well and has some nice scenarios in it to
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Luddite

'Contemptible Little Armies' rules perhaps? 

I find them a bit too 'wooly', a bit 'Too Fat Lardies' for my tastes but they are designed for WWI engagements.

For smaller actions, perhaps check out the Warhammer Historical 'Great War' rules.  Simply use multiple Pendraken figs on a base instead of 1 28mm fig?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

nikharwood

Looking at these I'd go with CLA over WH: Great War any time..

CLA has its faults, but will give you an infinitey better game than GW any day (which in essence is 40k remodelled  :-[)

Fenton

Have to agree with Nik on this one...had a go at GW Great War after I bought it...and it was a bit poo ( thats me being polite)
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

HarleyFrank

I am using "Comptemptible Littel Armies" and as suggested in another post to this trend, substitute 1 bse = 1 fig.

My club used a variation of Flames of War sometime ago before I joined and apparently it worked quite well. If you're into objectives and lots of dice throwing, that is.....

zaapark

Have you tried Iron Ivans - Price of Glory.  Good set of WW1 rules for those who don't like GW WW1. And for scenarios be sure to check out the Skirmish Campaign book East Africa.

http://store.ironivangames.com/price-of-glory.html

http://mysite.verizon.net/fisherts/skirmishcampaigns/tang/index.htm

chris
chris

Captain Verbeek

Are you looking for skirmish, company level or battalion level gaming?
Non Cadmus

huascar

Appreciate the many suggestions. I have a number of Chris Peers rules (although not CLA), I hadn't given CLA serious thought as it seemed skirmish focused. Based on the feedback, and the fact that a new a new edition has just come out, I will probably give it try. Over the Top also sounds interesting as it is one of the few rules I know of that has speciffically been designed to include East Africa.

Peter W

Peter W

Mortarion

I have been looking for a good east african set of rules, the problem is that most WWI rules are either too squad level for 10mm, or too orientated on the western front.  If I ever do find a good set I will let you know