Home by Christmas Early Great War German Corps

Started by Bernie, 01 July 2013, 08:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

02 July 2013, 03:47:30 PM #15 Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 03:50:09 PM by mollinary
Found the website, and it contains much more than when I last looked, including a link to Lezius' book with illustrations of all the types. The forum is:

www.flagsforum.com

I went into it, chose "European" from the menu, and then searched for "Imperial German Army". The thread that comes up has almost all you need, but I am happy to answer questions.  In the Lezius book you will see the designs are set out for the grenadier regiments, of which 1st corps has three (1,3,4).  There are then some designs which are labelled as for regiments with that colour "achselklappen".  Regiments 33, 41, 43, and 45 all have white as the ground colour, Regiment 44 has yellow. Each regiment had three battalions, and they all carried a flag.

Hope this helps,

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Malbork

Great stuff. Many thanks :D

Will check the link out at home as office firewall doesn't like it too much.  A Flag per battalion may be a bit too much, but one per regiment certainly has an appeal.

Bernie

Hi Shecky & Mollinary

Yep using 30 x 20mm for infantry coys bases, 15mm circular for officers, 20 x 20mm for HMG sections, 20mm circle for Jaegers, 30 x 30mm for cavalry squadron or field battery, 30mm x 40mm for Heavy Field battery, 30mm Hexagon for howitzer battery (thus you can spot howitzer battery easily amongst my amateurish painting!), 30mm Hexagon for Heavy Howitzers, 50 x 25mm for limbers, 40mm circle for Brigade HQ, 50mm circle for Div HQ and 70mm circle for Corps HQ. But of course use whatever is convenient and available.

As Brigade, Division and Corps are not directing the battle they will be used for other things in the game. From my reading it is the battalion and especially the regimental CO's that are directing the fight and the key command element. Pendraken (look away now) do not do WWI standard bearers so I am ordering from Irregular Miniatures their early war mounted officers and standard bearers to represent this command level. Just downloaded the flags from Mollinary's source and will resize and double them up to make 8 pretty flag bases per corps to present this command level when come back from hols.   

Hertsblue

If you need cavalry standards I have the old Almark books that give most of them.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

German cavalry stopped carrying standards after 1866 didn't they?

I may be wrong, I usually am...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

03 July 2013, 02:31:05 PM #20 Last Edit: 03 July 2013, 04:05:07 PM by mollinary
Sorry ML, no cigar!  :).   German cavalry standards are carried into the field  (at least the Prussians are) in the  FPW, and in the first two years of WW1.  As Fiebig says of 1914 "Von den vorhandenen 877 Fahnen, 105 Standarten, 338 Landwehrfahnen, 21 Landwehrstandarten zogen 679 Fahnen, 103 Standarten, 299 Landwehrfahnen, 20 Landwehrstandarten ins  feld". Can't say fairer than that.   And the two that weren't?

"Die beiden Standarten, die nicht mit ins feld zogen, waren die Ehrenstandarte der 26 Dragoner und die Standarten der Bayerlichen Liebgarde der Hartschiere".  

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Pavlovs_Dog

Bernie,

Very nice Figures  I do like the Jagers

Jerry

Hertsblue

Is it my imagination or has there been an upswing in interest in WW1 lately?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Steve J

There has with the 100th Anniversary next year. Obviously Pendraken are extendening their figure range and I imagine there will be an awful lot in the various wargmaes magazines.

Bernie

Hi

The French corps has now been completed along with the regimental standards for the two German corps using the flags noted on the earlier thread. I have done regimental flags for the French as well.

See the link for a slideshow of the finished German and French Corps

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/BernardGanley/slideshow/Home%20by%20Christmas%20Early%20WWI%20Armies%20in%2010mm

November's task is to paint the British corps as well as source industrial type buildings for the game

Duke Speedy of Leighton

GW844

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!