Home by Christmas Early Great War German Corps

Started by Bernie, 01 July 2013, 08:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

This is the first completed corps on a new project on the opening phase of the Great War.

Home by Christmas/ Home before the Leaves Fall period is very well covered by Pendraken and the new early war stuff will only make the range even better.

I also wanted to use the laser cut mdf bases from Leon as well, which I found to be excellent and enhanced the flocking aswell

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/BernardGanley/library/Home%20by%20Christmas%20Early%20WWI%20Armies%20in%2010mm

To follow after this month will be a French corps, British corps, Belgian division as well as a second German corps and of course lots of industrial buildings

Steve J

Looking good Bernie and a nice period of the war to game, with plenty of colourful options re: troops etc.

mollinary

Hi Bernie,

If you are doing the first few months of 1914, do not forget that about two thirds of German  battalions carried their colours into action In this period.  I could probably provide details of individual regiments from Fiebig if it would be helpful.

Regards,

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

nikharwood

Very nice, Bernie - especially like those Hussars  8)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shecky

What timing. I just received my small order of early war French, British and Germans today. It looks like you are basing the units similar to TTLGB, correct? I want to do corps vs. corps action (and larger) and plan to modify TTLGB. However I'd also like to be flexible for Square Bashing or Playing Leap Frog. I figure the 30mm x 20mm bases would work fine for all my needs.

Hope to see more pix soon.

Tom

Malbork

Great stuff Bernie.

This will inspire me to get back on trcak with my Tannenberg project which has slid into the doldrums.

@ Mollinary

Could you maybe point me in the right direction for flag information for the Tannenberg campaign?

TIA

mollinary

Malbork,

If you can tell me which regiments fought in the campaign, I can tell you something about which ones carried their flags, and the basic types you want.

Mollinary

Malbork

Hi Mollinary,

i'm working on I Corps and AFAIK this comprised/

Ist E. Prussian Grenadiers
41st Infantry
3rd Grenadiers
43 Infantry
rd E. Prussian Cuirassiers
si Lithuanian Dragoons.

Any info/corrections gratefully received :)

mollinary

Hi Malbork,

What you describe is the peacetime organisation of the 1st Division, containing Infantry Brigades 1 and 2 and the 1st Cavalry Brigade.   As far as I can see, on mobilisation the 1st Cavalry Brigade were removed, along with 2nd Division's 2nd Cavalry Brigade, to form part of the 1st Cavalry Diviison.  The first Infantry  division received the 8th Uhlans from the 43rd Cavalry Brigade, while the second division got the 9th Jäger zu Pferde from the same source.  For  completeness sake the 1st Corps' 2nd Division contained the 4th Grenadiers and 44th inf regt in 3 Brigade, and the 33rd Fusiliers and 45th inf regt in 4 Brigade.  All the above info from Wikipedia, although the regiments listed all match those set out in Fiebig's book on Flags.  All these regiments carried their flags into the field in 1914, and they were of a number of different patterns. I hope to get some time tomorrow to give some detail, and there is a website with some splendid illustrations from cigarette cards which I need to track down.  More later.

Mollinary

Malbork

Thanks for the correction Mollinary.

Think I got my original OOB from Wiki and my good intentions of cross-checking with a couple of weightier tomes have sadly remained good intentions :(

Have to say I wasn't aware that they carried their flags with them; Should certainly brighten the table a bit if I can manage to do some

Steve J

Flags on the table would look great IMHO 8). They certainly add a certain something to our AVBCW games.