Who wants Mongols? - Pledging closed, Mongols on the way!

Started by Leon, 24 June 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've discussed Kickstarters on the Forum previously, and how we're not sure how viable they are in 10mm, so we've decided to try a bit of an experiment.  After an email chat with one of the members, and the position of these figures in the Top 10 Requests, we're going to use a Mongol range as the basis for this experiment.

So, how it works:

- Below is a list of the prospective range, listed by code, with a brief description of the contents, and the price per pack.

- If you would be seriously interested in a range of Mongols, please check through the list, and work out what you would potentially purchase.

- Make a post here, stating what you would buy, such as 2 x MON1, 2 x MON3, etc.

- If there is something missing from the prospective list, let us know and we can see about adding it to the range.

We are looking to get 'pledges' of purchases over £750 total before we start production on these.  There would be no money taken from anybody until the range was produced and up on the website.

The range would be sculpted by Phil (Techno), using new horse dollies for the smaller Mongol mounts.  We would estimate somewhere around a 3 month wait from the point we reached our target, to the figures going on general sale and people being able to order them.  Once they were on sale, everyone who has pledged would be able to go over to the website and make their orders as normal.

There is no obligation to purchase once the range is made, but please only state your interest if you are serious about buying into it.  We can't really offer much in the way of discounts for these 'pledges' but we'll see if we can come up with some extra bonus items for those who have pledged.  Maybe some extra General / Personality type figures which would be included as freebies.  All of the sculpts would be posted here on the Forum for feedback from everyone.

So, as mentioned above, this is a complete experiment, and we have no idea how it will turn out.  Hopefully loads of people will get involved, and a new 10mm Mongol range will become a reality!

The range:

MON1 - Light cavalry, with bow (3 poses)
MON2 - Light cavalry, with sword and bow (2 poses)
MON3 - Light cavalry, with lance and bow (2 poses)

MON4 - Medium cavalry, with bow (3 poses)
MON5 - Medium cavalry, with sword and bow (2 poses)
MON6 - Medium cavalry, with lance and bow (2 poses)

MON7 - Heavy cavalry, with bow (3 poses)
MON8 - Heavy cavalry, with sword and bow (2 poses)
MON9 - Heavy cavalry, with lance and bow (2 poses)

MON10 - Cavalry command (5-6 mixed poses, including camel drummer)

MON11 - Dismounted cavalry, with bow (3 poses)

MON12 - Camp followers + pack horses (4 poses + horse)

MON13 - Genghis Khan + generals (3 figures) - Free to everyone who pledges to this project

MON14 - Yurts (3) - A pack of 3 different Yurts!  We'll confirm the price on these once the masters have been made and we've got a good idea of the sizes.

MON15 - Keshik bodyguard (2 poses)
MON16 - Dismounted command (3 poses)
MON17 - Civilians (5 poses)  - Free to everyone who pledges to this project

All packs contain 15 cavalry or 30 foot, priced at £4 per pack, unless otherwise stated.

So, that's it I think!  Let me know if there are any questions on anything, and please spread the word among anyone you think would be interested in these.  The more interest we can stir up, the more likely we'll be seeing these before the end of 2013.

UPDATE - GOAL REACHED, TARGET HIT, COMMENCING MONGOLS!!! - Thanks to everyone who has pledged so far!

Keep the pledges coming though, as the more we can get pledged, the more we can offer to those who have backed this project.  Everyone who is on the list so far will be getting Genghis and a couple of generals as a freebie, and if we can hit £1000, we'll do a blanket 10% discount for all the backer orders as well.

UPDATE 2 - £1000 TARGET HIT!!! - Everyone who pledges will now receive 10% discount on their order.  If we can now hit £1250, we will add a pack of Yurts to the range as well.

UPDATE 3 - £1250 TARGET HIT!!! - Everyone who has pledged so far will be receiving a free pack of Genghis Khan and his Generals, along with a 10% discount on their overall order.  In addition, we've added the Yurts to the range as well.

UPDATE 4 - £1500 TARGET HIT!!! - Thanks to everyone who has pledged so far!  As well as the freebies and discount, we'll also add the keshik guards and the camel drummer to the range now.  Only 9 days left for pledges, so make sure you've got yours in!  The next target is £1750, where we will add a dismounted command option as well.

UPDATE 4 - £2000 TARGET HIT!!! - We've done it!  We have hit the £2000 mark, thanks to everyone who has pledged so far!  We've added both the dismounted command and the civilians to the range now.  Everyone who has pledged will receive:

- 10% discount on your order.
- FREE Genghis Khan and his generals.
- FREE pack of civilians.

We'd best get some sculpting and moulding done now then!   :D

8)

Pledges so far:

£25 - Ryman1
£32 - big_paul182
£40 - Matt of Munslow
£64 - mad lemmey
£108 - Sandinista
£? - ianrs54
£44 - Genom
£60 - fred12df
£88 - sakura
£88 - Rougue
£140 - shedman
£100 - rex hurley
£32 - dry_erase
£60 - badstar
£28 - lentulus
£32 - rcourt929
£40 - kublaibenzine
£8 - Dave Fielder
£60 - kustenjaeger
£48 - Neil
£60 - Bucket Knight
£44 - Neidhart
£40 - Tiny Terrain
£40 - Kim3C
£32 - seano1815
£96 - Sloth1963
£92 - Hybrid
£72 - Wurrukatte
£8 - Subedai
£100 - Landscape
£92 - stugibsonca
£64 - get2grips
£92 - Scipio
£4 - republic of tolworth
£15 - fenton
£75 - alie55
£16 - Ian Dickie
£60 - Bone
£40 - YorstonS
£40 - Camo

£2189 Total!!!

:-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Leon on 24 June 2013, 12:10:18 AM

- If there is something missing from the prospective list, let us know and we can see about adding it to the range.

This  is  really interesting and I think a good way to go.

Not wishing to add huge amounts to range but can see a couple of useful additions

Command with Camel Drummer
Dismounted Cavalry with Lance
Dismounted Cavalry with lance and Pavisse

Artillery - mainly with chinese crew

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sandinista

I would buy a large army, at least 2 packs of each.
Plus adding extras to my existing eastern armies...

TinyTerrain

Great idea Leon,but I am sorry to say not my period of interest  :'(

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ryman1

Put me down for a pack of 4,5 and 6 :)

big_paul182

Hi,
   You can put me down for 8-10 Packs. for a start ;D

Big_Paul182

l

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Interesting idea..not my period really but I could maybe see me using some of them as horse archers for fantasy units
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

i_am_win

Good idea, I'm sure it'll work well!

I'll pass though on the Mongols, not my period or interest at the moment.

Good luck!
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Matt J

Yes please.

Not sure on what combination of packs (until the sculpts are done). But approx. £40 purchase.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Hertsblue

Sadly, not my area of interest - but a useful piece of customer research which might well be applied to other periods.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now I've got 'who wants short shorts' in my head too!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvjXAtzaMU
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Le Manchou

Well, maybe in 10 years, i have so much to do before that!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I like the Kickstarter idea, but not with Mongols. Just can't get worked up about east Asian armies. Kickstarter Macedonians and Successors though.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!