WWI Belgium 1914

Started by Leman, 24 March 2013, 08:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

WWI Belgium 1914. There are some noticeable gaps for this fascinating campaign, namely:

Belgian Carabiniers
Dog pulled machine guns
Minerva armoured car
Belgians in greatcoat and feldmutze
Belgian mounted chasseur
British sailors/marines

Belgians in shako can be culled from the 1866 Austrians. Anyone have any other ideas for double up figures for this campaign?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

AS a belgian, i need this!!

Bernie

Afraid I had to use Magister Miletum and Irregular Miniatures. To add to the "Pendraken" gap they also provided the casualty markers and senior command

Leman

Thanks very much for that info. Would like to put an army together for the 100th anniversary next year. Interesting to see that two other companies do dog carts. I am assuming the Pendraken infantry are in the Yser uniform. I think 1860s Austrian casualty marker would be very acceptable for Belgian in Shako.

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

The WW1 German East Africa sailors are very good generic sailors in landing rig:-

Perhaps you could use the WW1 British in greatcoat for Greatcoat and feldmutze, using a steady hand to remove the hat peak:-

WW1 British in caps with the hat peak removed might be ok as marines or you could look at the ww2 Russian Naval infantry (sorry couldn't find a picture).

The Minerva could be scratchbuilt on the WW1 Middle eastern Model T Ford HMG or Open Tourer.

Sorry not much help but can't really think of too much more

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

Actually that was pretty good help. I'd already thought about having a go at the tourer with plasticard, and there are a couple of useful photos in the Osprey book on the Belgian army. So putting this army and its allies together shouldn't be too onerous now. Incidentally, just discovered that the first allies on the scene were French Fusiliers Marins, so they're already available in the French 1870 range. Cheers everyone!

GrumpyOldMan

Hi DP

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 26 March 2013, 03:37:25 PM
just discovered that the first allies on the scene were French Fusiliers Marins, so they're already available in the French 1870 range. Cheers everyone!

Unfortunately the FPW sailors are in landing rig (in one case with a sheepskin):-

I think the WW1 Fusiliers Marins were more like this:-

Might be a case of head swaps between the FPW figures and vanilla WW1 French

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

Dave Fielder

Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Leman

Thanks for the info. Now hoping that with the expected Pendraken expansion more WWI Belgians will appear.