Ancient Italians - Samnites, Campanians, Bruttians, Lucanians, Apulians

Started by Dunnadd, 23 June 2013, 07:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnadd

No company does these in 10mm. I think Old Glory do one pack of Italian allies who are pretty mediocre and all the same single figure and that's about it.

Ancient Italians as allies in Roman or Carthaginian armies make them much more interesting and colourful. And of course they can be enemies for the Romans in earlier periods.

barbarian

I was thinking about doing some Etruscans (since I live in their main former city).
But, really, I don't know if they're is differences between the different Latins allies once they joined the Roman army.
I think that the Etruscans fought as the Greek with the hoplon.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Interesting bunch, Etruscans. Greek style hoplon and armour but some had a weapon similar to the pilum. Connolly has produced some excellent illustrations of Etruscans, Samnites and the like in his book on Greek and Roman warfare. As far as I can tell the very early Roman armies also looked like Greeks and didn't change much until the sack of Rome by the Gauls, although they did have the different classes of spearmen, dependant on wealth.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Etruscan's  are an interesting army, not sure I like the way they developed into a Tyranid army over time though
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

barbarian

I just saw my english in the last post : I apologize ; it is awful.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Phobos

I´m sure there was another thread about ancient oscan peoples somewhere in the forum.

Im working in oscan warriors currently, not sure if Leon wants it, but was thinking about sell it in a near future. (As soon as I finish a couple of good horses.)

Dunnadd

Barbarian wrote
QuoteI was thinking about doing some Etruscans (since I live in their main former city).
But, really, I don't know if they're is differences between the different Latins allies once they joined the Roman army.
I think that the Etruscans fought as the Greek with the hoplon.

I don't think its known for certain how the allies other than the Latins were equipped. Its generally assumed that they gradually switched to Roman style equipment during the Republic but its not known for certain, nor when they did if they did. By the Marian period most former Italian allies were Roman citizens so they'd be just Roman troops by then, but earlier? No certainty. They might well still have had their own style of dress and equipment during the punic wars.

And there were also the Romans' wars of conquest in Italy against the Etruscans, Samnites, etc before that.

Barbarian wrote
QuoteI just saw my english in the last post : I apologize ; it is awful.

It's fine - much better than many people posting on the internet who have English as a first language.

Phobos wrote
QuoteIm working in oscan warriors currently, not sure if Leon wants it, but was thinking about sell it in a near future. (As soon as I finish a couple of good horses.)

Will you please post on the forums (and/or message me and anyone else interested) when those are on sale - whichever company they're on sale from or even if you're selling them directly yourself?

And do you have any photos?

Leman

Ay Barberrrian. Ahm Inglish an yer should ear ow dee torkit ear (Liverpool).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Phobos

Quote from: Dunnadd on 24 June 2013, 07:47:52 PM

Will you please post on the forums (and/or message me and anyone else interested) when those are on sale - whichever company they're on sale from or even if you're selling them directly yourself?

And do you have any photos?

Of course Dunnaid! No photos yet, but I´ll take a couple of today or tomorrow. Only finished two javelinmen poses, with partial muscle and triple disc cuirass, greaves and flat scutum. Having some problems with the feathers of the helmet X_X
Also, my initial idea was something like this:

Oscan javelinmen (light infantry) 2 poses
Oscan javelinmen (samnite) 2 poses
Campanian hoplite
Oscan cavalry (1 pose + command)

Techno

Quote from: barbarian on 24 June 2013, 01:54:38 PM
I just saw my english in the last post : I apologize ; it is awful.

Good grief !
Very little to worry about there B.
I'll second Dunnadd's comment. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Dunnadd

QuoteOf course Dunnaid! No photos yet, but I´ll take a couple of today or tomorrow. Only finished two javelinmen poses, with partial muscle and triple disc cuirass, greaves and flat scutum. Having some problems with the feathers of the helmet I don't want to see
Also, my initial idea was something like this:

Oscan javelinmen (light infantry) 2 poses
Oscan javelinmen (samnite) 2 poses
Campanian hoplite
Oscan cavalry (1 pose + command)

Thanks - they sound great. The feathered helmets are one of the things i like about Oscans but i can understand why it might be a bit of a nightmare trying to make them in 10mm

Phobos

yep, sometimes looks too bulky, smetimes look very thin... anyway, I keep working on them!

barbarian

I have a book for the Etruscans but early ones (Bronze Age).

I really think they all fought the Greek way at the time Rome tried (and succeeded) to conquer Italy.

Dunnadd

I only know what i've read about them in the WRG Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars book. I think early on they fought like hoplites but i think some people also think the earliest Roman armies were based on their former Etruscan rulers' army - and i think there's a theory that the Romans might have adopted pila from the etruscans (i might be misremembering that though - it may even be my own theory not backed up by anything  :P)

edit: according to this thread (which cites some Italian books as sources) there's ancient Etruscan artwork that may show they invented pila - and apparently the graves of Italian Celts show they used javelins similar to pila too!

Donnington miniatures (they call themselves Ancient and Modern Army Supplies these days) do a range of ancient Italians including Etruscans in 15mm which might be worth looking at to do 10mm (and better) versions of. The Donnington 15mm ones are decent designs but not very great modelling.

I'm definite no-one makes any 10mm Etruscans so if you make them they'll be the first.