Armoured Cretan archers with shield, helmet, sword and linen cuirass

Started by Dunnadd, 23 June 2013, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnadd

From reading the WRG book on the Macedonian and Punic wars and some others it seems that some historians think Cretan archers meant a type of equipment based on that used by archers from Crete rather than only archers from Crete - and that it was bow, small shield, linen cuirass (possibly), sword and helmet. Is there any chance of making Armoured Cretan Archers with this equipment as an option for people who like that interpretation?

No company seems to make 10mm Cretan, Greek or Macedonian archers armed this way.

Phobos

Im sure the current greek archer is easily convertible in that.

P.S. This is totally offtopic, I know, but What´s the criteria to name "bowmen" or "archer"? any linguistic difference?

Techno

I stand to be corrected Phobos...
But I think most folk would regard them as basically the same.
I know we've got at least one member who participates in the sport of archery....(Bishop Lord/Jason).....He may know of a particular reason why they might be regarded as slightly different.
Cheers - Phil

Phobos

Thanks Phil! In spanish, it´s "arquero" from arco, bow, but there was a weapon like a bill from the XV called "Archa" used by royal guards and from it we got "archero", just and idea.