First Look: Chain of Command by Too Fat Lardies

Started by Ferb, 17 June 2013, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Noticed that this morning Craig.

I missed out when they came to our club to run a demo however i am very reliably informed that these rules are superb and I will be making a purchase!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Ferb

For those of you worried that you will need lots of terrain take a look at this from the TFL website. They play a game without any terrain at all!

fred.

I'm looking forward to these - they look very clever, without being gamey.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

TinyTerrain

For those of you who are interested the pre-order bundes for Chain of Command have just been listed on the TFL website.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=products_new&zenid=01b62ff956a72f0352afeed3c4c57fcf

Ive ordered the rules only bundle as I will be playing in 15mm and to be frank will use existing markers and dice......plus some recently home-made for the puropse jump off markers   :D

Best regards,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

My orders in - same bundle.

In time honoured tradition of my White Rose County forefathers, I have taken the cheapest possible route and will make do with other markers I have or will scratch build something appropriate :)

Haven't been looking forward to a set of rules like this since BKC came out :-bd
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Give us a score out of ten for this one lads, I may be tempted.
Pros & cons?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Same for me, the rules only bundle. I will choose the pdf. rather than the tablet option, as the latter is of no interest to me. Give me hard copies anytime. I too will be going down the 15mm as well as the 10mm route.

@ Mad Lemmey: I'd check out the TFL Blog as they have plenty of examples of the game, plus some very useful Youtbue guides to play. I'd give it at least 9/10 based on what I've seen, but probably 10/10 when I've got my grubby mits on the book. Correct tactics appear to be rewarded in these rules as opposed to playing the rules, not the period. BTW the latest wargames mags seem to be full of articles relating to this given that the game is released in August.

Hope this helps?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Hoping to get a game at the end of August...looks fun
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Nosher

Here's some feedback from a mate that organised the TFL demo at SADWC last month.

I very much trust his opinions as he's a really quite splendid chap with years of wargaming experience under his belt. He's also very knowledgeable and gives a very fair overview of all the games he plays.

"The game is absolutely great. Even though we were all learners we comfortably finished the game in the evening and all thought it was brilliant. Indeed this is the only rule set I can recall where no one had any reservations or dislikes at all in the post game analysis.

We did an attack/defence game which was very useful as I wanted to see how the patrol phase would work in this type of scenario rather than encounter.

The game had a road running the length of the table (playing short end to short end) with a village at our end plus the usual hedges and walls etc (looked great!).  Brits defending with a full platoon and a Vickers. Germans attacking with a full platoon, 75mm infantry gun and Sdkfz222.

In an attack defence game the defender starts his patrol phase from the center of the objective. The attack starts table edge but rolls to see how many jumps in he starts. So in this case Sean rolled and got 4 free moves with his patrol markers before I started moving ours. If you have seen the "Exposed AAR" on Lard Island I now understand what the deployment triangles mean!

The game was great - ending with a victory for the Germans.

Thoughts afterward - Elegant yet simple mechanisms – easy to pick up and intuitive after a couple of turns - Really keeps you engaged even if not the active player - Makes you focus on your leaders and use of sound tactics more than any other rule set - Reflects the different tactical doctrines of each side very well - Enables proper fire and movement - the patrol phase is a masterstroke and the jump off points a really clever idea

So all in all - can't wait!"

Frank Carson

ronan

aargh... now I have to buy them !   @-)
;)

Thank you Nosher.

Last Hussar

Ordered my rules only bundle- I actually enjoy making markers etc, and I have a load already anyway.

Have a platoon in 20mm, as well as a company based in 3s for 10mm (2 bases = 1 IABSM section).  SERIOUSLY considering painting a second army up in 10mm to base individually for these.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Serotonin

Got my order in- tablet version for me (Ive got all their tablet versions to date and they are ace!)

Im afraid we will be doing it 28mm as we already have a few forces for Rules of Engagement that would be suitable for this.

Wulf

They'll be a step or two up in complexity from FUBAR, which I'm currently looking at for 10mm (I have some ancient Pendraken WWII that have sat in a box for years...)

I may need a whole load of hedges & walls though. I might be able to make hedges, but I'm not sure about walls...