First Look: Chain of Command by Too Fat Lardies

Started by Ferb, 17 June 2013, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

The main worry I have over these rules, and those like them, is the dependence on terrain, and plenty of it. The pictures are gorgeous, but there's no way I could replicate that on my table. And from the narrative, it sounds like the game make a lot of use of the terrain. It would be a very different game with sparse terrain...

fred.

I wonder that too, especially as we are thinking of doing North Africa...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Terrain will naturally make a big difference, but then it did in reality (stating the bleedin obvious I know), so Holland '45, Western Desert '41 or Russian Steppe will present their own challenges. Much more tactical movement getting benefit from dips and bumps in the ground), smoke etc will come to the fore I would imagine. But then these challenges are faced in say BKCII or even Rules of Engagement, an almost identical Platoon level skirmish game.

Fenton

It sounds and looks like you need the same sort of terrain as Crossfire
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Wulf

20 June 2013, 10:22:54 PM #19 Last Edit: 20 June 2013, 10:26:42 PM by Wulf
While I don't know Crossfire, comments on that on BoardGameGeek seem to confirm the need for dense terrain. I agree, it does sound from that report like movement is judged by terrain. There seems to be no mention of distances.

TinyTerrain

Someone needs some terrain making  ;)

I take commissions  :D

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: Wulf on 20 June 2013, 10:22:54 PM
While I don't know Crossfire, comments on that on BoardGameGeek seem to confirm the need for dense terrain. I agree, it does sound from that report like movement is judged by terrain. There seems to be no mention of distances.

The videos explaining the game mention measured movement with dice rolls to determine how for.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

Sunjester - I think it will be more like TW&T, with a separate gun group.  As it happens mine are originally based for PBI, 3 bases in a section - 1 LMG, and 2 with 7 figures between them, so anyone playing 10mm will need to remember that.  No reason the Rifle Group can't be 7 men/2 bases, with a die counting down (and maybe a base removed once at 1/2, like we do for TW&T)

As we have plenty of 20mm, its not going to be a problem!  This could be our September game...

And before you say anything about not having a June game yet - my dining room table is covered in stuff from Kitchen cabinets, and B&Q don't deliver the new ones for 3 weeks!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

sunjester

Quote from: Last Hussar on 21 June 2013, 02:28:48 AM
As we have plenty of 20mm, its not going to be a problem!  This could be our September game...

And before you say anything about not having a June game yet - my dining room table is covered in stuff from Kitchen cabinets, and B&Q don't deliver the new ones for 3 weeks!

It's a shame that you have to put the "real world" over the more important things in life, like beer and wargaming!  :P ;D

Last Hussar

:(

Do you know how many 10 mil I could have got for the cost of a kitchen! Over 7800 infantry.  I could have Nic buy and paint about 900!  They sneaked in a £10 cutlery draw into the order.  I could have bought one in B&M for a couple of quid.  The dishwasher that we can now fit better be worth it

GNU PTerry

sunjester

Quote from: Wulf on 20 June 2013, 08:08:59 PM
The main worry I have over these rules, and those like them, is the dependence on terrain, and plenty of it. The pictures are gorgeous, but there's no way I could replicate that on my table. And from the narrative, it sounds like the game make a lot of use of the terrain. It would be a very different game with sparse terrain...

Are there any sets of WW2 rules where terrain doesn't play an important role, especially at a skirmish level?
After all no battlefields were completely flat, even the Libyan desert. Patches of rocks or scrub, wadis, rises and folds in the ground, there was a lot of stuff to get in the way, especially at this sort of level.

sunjester

Quote from: Last Hussar on 21 June 2013, 02:11:11 PM
:(

Do you know how many 10 mil I could have got for the cost of a kitchen! Over 7800 infantry.  I could have Nic buy and paint about 900!  They sneaked in a £10 cutlery draw into the order.  I could have bought one in B&M for a couple of quid.  The dishwasher that we can now fit better be worth it

The first time you mentioned this to me you said you were taking a week off to "do some painting" and maybe replace a few cupboard doors. How did this get to a whole new kitchen? :o
More importantly doesn't she realise yet you have a metal habit than needs feeding? ;)

Wulf

Quote from: sunjester on 21 June 2013, 02:11:52 PM
Are there any sets of WW2 rules where terrain doesn't play an important role, especially at a skirmish level?
After all no battlefields were completely flat, even the Libyan desert. Patches of rocks or scrub, wadis, rises and folds in the ground, there was a lot of stuff to get in the way, especially at this sort of level.
Yes, but there's a difference between miniature troops using cover and game rules using it. The Russian Steppe is far less 'populated' with features than Normandy - would troops move further?

However, fred suggests that movement is measured in some way by distance, so it's less of a concern.

Last Hussar

At higher levels you can say "That area is ...." but at low/skirmish level it is importany.  In 20mm TW&T is virtually at figure scale.  SUre there are fields that would have no terrain in a yard of table, but do you really want to advance across it?  Go for a drive in the country, pass through a village, and you will see how dense even modern fields can be.  At this level cover really counts in leaders plans.

GNU PTerry

TinyTerrain

Hi

Good news, a release date has been announced for these rules of 21st August. Having played them (with Rich of Too Fat Lardies umpiring) I can thoroughly recommend them and can confirm they ate suitable for 10mm.

Keep your eyes on the Too Fat Lardies Blog for more info,

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!