Dremel Bits

Started by WeeWars, 14 June 2013, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

Can anyone recommend a Dremel bit for working with Pendraken metal? - for grinding away/smoothing off. My metal bits appear to lose out to the metal of the figures.

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Hi Michael,
at work we use a range of minicraft cutters, which can be seen on page 135 below, in the bottom left hand corner. I'm not too sure if they will fit a Dremel though?

http://www.squirestools.com/11-08.pdf

Hope this helps?

Steve J.

Techno

14 June 2013, 07:42:42 PM #2 Last Edit: 14 June 2013, 07:48:39 PM by Techno
Grinding away and smoothing off.....'diamond' coated burrs work very well.
Last ones I got (years ago) are still going strong.
Got them from Alec Tiranti Ltd in London.....They do ALL sorts of art supplies including bits that will fit Dremmels.

Not sure if Dremmel themselves supply that type....Worth a check ?
Cheers - Phil.

Wulf

Quote from: Steve Jat work we use a range of minicraft cutters, which can be seen on page 135 below, in the bottom left hand corner. I'm not too sure if they will fit a Dremel though?
Well, I use Dremel bits in my Minicraft drill, so I imagine it works the other way...

WeeWars

I've only got some sort of Dremel-type tool.

I used Minicraft-type metal bits but they seem to wear easily used on Pendraken metal. The tin content, of course, making the metal hard. I'm using the slowest speed. Should I use a faster speed. perhaps?

A diamond bur sound like a good idea. Steve's stockist has a number of these, too -- pages 127-8. I have three that look similar in my toolbox. I'll give them a try. Any recommendations of speed to use?

Cheers, Michael

Techno

Hi Michael.

Personally I use the slowest speed my Dremmel will work at.....Though even that seems bloomin' swift......Much, much faster than my old non-Dremmel one, which I could slow to almost a revolution a second by using a variable transformer......It didn't half wobble about at that speed though. ;D ;D ;D

I'm not actually sure what speed the new one goes at.....It's got 5 sliding settings...and 10.000 - 33.000 marked on the casing.
I'll see if I can find the old instruction manual later and check what those refer to.

10-33 revs per second ?
Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Yep the speeds are normally in RPM, revolutions per minute. I've found the minicraft bits to be ok, but they can clog up when used on the relatively soft metal that the figures are cast in. Ditto the diamong burrs.

Techno

Agreed they can clog Steve.
What I personally like about the diamond burrs is that they don't 'grab' and then slip off somewhere you didn't want them to. ;) ;D
But as long as you're careful that's fairly rare.

Cheers - Phil.

WeeWars

Quote from: Techno on 16 June 2013, 02:50:42 PM
'grab' and then slip off somewhere you didn't want them to. ;) ;D
But as long as you're careful that's fairly rare.

Not at all rare when I'm doing the DIY drilling -- RE the squinty things on the walls...  :(

Techno

Quote from: WeeWars on 17 June 2013, 09:04:42 AM
Not at all rare when I'm doing the DIY drilling -- RE the squinty things on the walls...  :(

How true !!
Give me a 'man sized drill' and I go all over the shop.....Especially on breeze blocks.
A perfect sized hole in the wall ? That happens to other people. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil.