Zvezda 1/72 plastics

Started by freddy326, 11 June 2013, 12:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddy326

I've managed to pick up several boxes of Plastic Zvezda figures, I haven't painted soft plastic figures for something like 40 years and remember that flaking was a bit of an issue. I've had a read through TMP and 'think' I know what needs to be done.

As far as prep is concerned, wash in soapy water and let dry, then glue using Loctite All Plastic. I was going to undercoat white as they are medieval figures, paint using Vallejo and then 'army painter' dark dip for the knights
and men at arms, with the strong tone for peasants and artillery. Highlight and finally gloss varnish followed by matt varnish and basing.

has anyone got a better way that they might like to share?

regards

Freddy

SV52

Look up references to Johnson's 'Klear'.  Widely used to coat plastic figures after painting.  What it is is a floor polish which dries to a rock hard high gloss perfectly transparent finish.  I get mine from Asda, 500ml for a few quid so will last a generation.  The latest version of it (which I use at the moment) is a cloudy, palish blue liquid with a strong perfumy smell.  It dries clear and the smell disappears, although it makes a change from using stuff which needs a hazmat suit.

It's been used on these guys then the figures sprayed with matt varnish.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

GordonY

Most of the Zvesda soft plastic isnt really that soft, in fact its pretty hard plastic, dont bother with the washing, just give it a coat of Vallejo primer, slap some paint on and give it a coat of "magic wash". For the formula for "magic wash" I use Nik's mix, details are somewhere in the painting section.