Show: Colours

Started by Leon, 11 June 2013, 01:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Steve J

A bit of an overview of our table at Colours and the show in general:

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/battle-of-deorham-at-colours-2013.html

QuoteSlightly disappointed with Bruce Weigle's game terrain - neat, but not spectacular.
I liked Bruce's terrain in that it was neat and consistent and one that I could happily game on, but then that it what I like for a wargames table. In contrast was the SAGA game across the way that, whilst full of some lovely pieces of scenery, was far too messy for me.

Ithoriel

Steve - nice write up on your blog.

One thing though. you say

"Sadly the show was once again plagued by another series of thefts. This only seems to happen to this show, but is a real shame for the traders and us gamers. It would be a sad day if a few thiefs put off traders from attending to the detriment of all of us"

Theft has been a problem at wargames' shows for as long as I can remember. I used to help out on the Bring and Buy at Claymore (in Edinburgh) back in the eighties and nineties and we regularly had things go "walkies." It's the human condition, I fear :(

There again, maybe eight years playing EVE Online has given me a jaundiced view of humanity. A wretched hive of scum and villainy if ever there was. Humanity in action untrammelled by serious consequences! ..... I love it  :-[
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

20 September 2013, 02:48:27 PM #47 Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 02:50:00 PM by Leon
From a trade point of view, unfortunately both Colours and Warfare have a bit of a reputation on the circuit for thefts.  We're all fairly sure it must be the same people doing it at both, and if one of us ever catches them, there's a good chance of some vigilante justice...  >:(

The real shame is that it spoils two quality shows.  The organisers do a great job of running both, but until these people get caught and identified, there's not much which can be done about it.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

kustenjaeger

Greetings

I recall a few issues from Warfare, as Leon mentions.  It would indeed be excellent if the people who do this could be dealt with - traders have better things to do with their time than look out for pilferers. 

(In the case of Dave and Leon it's talk to us and get us to buy more than intended - I went to pick up my SYW bearskin cavalry and ended up buying some M13s, some Mk VIB, a WWI Russian army pack and an 1809 Bavarian army pack,)

Regards

Edward

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yeah, I did that, picked up my order and went away with an Argentine army pack...  :-\
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

get2grips

21 September 2013, 11:28:45 PM #50 Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 11:36:29 PM by get2grips
Quote from: Leon on 20 September 2013, 02:48:27 PM
From a trade point of view, unfortunately both Colours and Warfare have a bit of a reputation on the circuit for thefts.  We're all fairly sure it must be the same people doing it at both, and if one of us ever catches them, there's a good chance of some vigilante justice...  >:(

The real shame is that it spoils two quality shows.  The organisers do a great job of running both, but until these people get caught and identified, there's not much which can be done about it.

I just don't get it...they have to be into the hobby to want to steal it but, if that's the case, where's the joy:

"Nice army Bob...how did you paint that?"
"I didn't...I nicked it at Colours."
"tw@."

Just don't get this  X_X

Leon

Quote from: get2grips on 21 September 2013, 11:28:45 PM
I just don't get it...they have to be into the hobby to want to steal it but, if that's the case, where's the joy:

"Nice army Bob...how did you paint that?"
"I didn't...I nicked it at Colours."
"tw@."

Just don't get this  X_X

From what I remember of the things which have gone missing, it tends to be items which can be easily sold on eBay without suspicion.  So Flames of War, Vallejo paints, the Warlord boxsets this year.  It would be very difficult to see any of them up for sale online, and then be able to identify them as stolen.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

O Dinas Powys

Well, it's been over week since Colours and I was hoping to get some photos up! Unfortunately real life has been *far* to "interesting" over the last week so I haven't even had a chance to think up a decent excuse for my thrashing at the Dux Bellorum table by my 8yo daughter...  :'(

Anyway, it was great to see everyone, play at such a cool table and attack a fellow Celt with a sword!  8)

Proper post soon, real life calls!

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Steve J

Look forward to the pics Meirion when time allows. Is your daughter still crowing about her victory :D? Glad you liked the table as well :).