Winter - Gaming Table and Terrain (by Vulpine)

Started by Vulpine, 10 June 2013, 09:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulpine

10 June 2013, 09:08:57 PM Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 11:05:12 PM by Vulpine
Hi all, it's been a while since my last post, but I had to get this posted...

In keeping with my last board set in Africa (See: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,5712.0.html) Ive done a new one based on Northern Europe - Russia in winter.

Unfortunately I didn't do a step by step, however here we go...

Me and my mate (Ant Aka Dim reaper) really like the winter idia of a new 15mm were doing. We thought about Bastogne from 'band of brothers' and in the winter (around the time we ordered the models) we were up walking in a secret yet massive wood that nobody else seams to know about. It's around 5miles walk from my place and the woods are around 3 square miles.

It was knee deep on places (I kid you not!) and it looked fab. We now call that wood "Bastogne" That was the influence for the board:

So the board. Made as normal from a MDf base with cut in poly/foam sheets (not by us! It's an old board my mate got in a very bad state). Coated with, white emulation (I am a decorator) with sharp sand in. This made it textured. Then a coat of white ontop to help seal it. Then another and then sprinkled while still wet with snow flock. The river was then varnished to give it a gloss look.

So the terrain features. I had two forge world 40k bunkers with no roofs. I had some corrugated card and Ant cut them into rectangles (he's the plasticard guy) and I glued em and painted them up and then sprinkled snow flock on while still wet:

Next, £7 for this airfix building. Bargain I say. Nive barn that fits in with sci fi as well as WW2 etc. it has a bombed out rear so tanks can drive in as well as troops and a tank fits in beautifully with its cannon out the window, after painting it I sprayed the roof with varnish and covered in snow flock:

Ant then made the first of a few fantastic bridges from plasticard... I really don't know how he does it so well! :

So. .. Trees....
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Vulpine

10 June 2013, 09:21:02 PM #1 Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 09:25:18 PM by Vulpine
So trees, found some amazing furr trees, but at £12 for three I went off the idia. Also, the other side there are some very cheap but very bad trees out there, I settled for these http://picclick.com/16-X-Model-Pine-400231134929.html that I think are a fair price and also a decent quality.

I then mounted them on card and  sprayed them with Varnish Spray and sprinkled them with snow flock. Here they are:

So then, we got some MDF boards and mounted them, and here are the results:

Comment welcome. Oh, I know what your thinking and me and Ant/Dim are thinking the same... Need twice as many trees yeah?
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice.
Too many trees on a base is a pain to move figures through, but more bases of trees is never a bad thing!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Vulpine

10 June 2013, 10:25:46 PM #3 Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 11:10:07 PM by Vulpine
Hi Mad Lem! Already thought of that, you cant make it out so here's some close ups. Trees are well spread on the boards. A simple ruling of,"if your on the board, your in cover" as I would think there are more trees and foliage in that area.

It will work nice for tanks also, so instead of one board with 6 trees you could have two of 3 with a 3cm gap between tree boards, to represent  that it is free of debris and such and so the tanks can role through with no problems and is technically still in the foresty area. If its on one of the tree boards it's likly to get blocked or have problems etc

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

GordonY

barbarian

If you can, you could put snow on on the tree bases.
That's wonderful.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Cracking job V ! :-bd
Looks terrific.
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Great terrain, Vulpine. But I agree with Barbarian that the tree bases need to be snowed too, as per your woodland photos. Bearing in mind that the trees already have snow on them this seems reasonable. Otherwise - great effort!  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kev1964

Great job Vulpine, excellent work on the river,

kev

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Vulpine

11 June 2013, 10:08:55 AM #9 Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 10:15:19 AM by Vulpine
Thanks all,

Tree bases still to do  :P

Should do them on thurs, thinking mud (we have a mud textured paint) and snow ontop.

Thanks for the comments!

... Oh, done some work on the waterfall so it looks like a stream flowing over the top, instead of dribbling down,  ill get the pics up soon!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

i_am_win

Top show old chap!

Seriously very cool board youv'e done! well done dude!  :D
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Vulpine

Thanks for the pic, my waterfall is going to be water not ice, I wouldn't know how to start doing the same in the pic... But it does look ace!

Here are my pics:

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Rob

Vulpine

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient