Chaco War Range: Something a bit left field

Started by huascar, 12 March 2010, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurrah

Useful inter war stuff hardware wise, Vickers tanks, Semag/Becker Cannons.

looking at the Paraguayan uniform, looks like the figures would be useful elsewhere as well

http://newshopper.sulekha.com/paraguay-independence-day_photo_807556.htm

Same with the Bolivians

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1941/kundtvisitingbolivantrovd1.jpg

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

huascar

Recently came across two good Chaco sources on youtube. Guerra del Chaco  is a Bolivian documentary in 11 parts on youtube. Unless you speak Spanish you might want to skip to part 5 where the fighting starts.  The second movie Guerra del Chaco - El Infierno del Chaco shows the war from the Paraguayan viewpoint. Its also in Spanish so you might want to FF to about the 38 minute mark. Both movies appear to use contemporary footage with some re-enactments, but they give a good idea of what the Chaco environment was like (a treehouse lookout appears to be a must) and the uniform/kit used by both sides. You can find them at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1DWrVnDro&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOp-xQpITlc&feature=related

Peter W
Peter W

huascar

Great to see the release of a Vickers Type A & B, both of which were fielded by Bolivia during the Chaco war. Piece by piece it's slowly coming together!   :d
Peter W

huascar

Chaco's finally made the 10 ten!! Dead last - but I'll take it :D
Peter W

huascar

Lest anyone thought I had given up on my efforts get a Chaco War range, I have just posted a review of Osprey's new Chaco War book in the books thread. A great resource if you ever need to paint some Chaco War figures (hint, hint).

Peter W
Peter W

billwyatt

Hi, there. I am a new member to this forum, but not to Pendraken. Can anyone tell me if, any of the existing ranges might be used as figures for this war, I was think of  possible SCW range. Also is there any of the present range that could be used for the Carden-Lloyd Mk. VI tankettes (machinegun carriers). I have always be interested in the Inter-War Period.

billwyatt

GrumpyOldMan

Hello billwyatt

Quote from: billwyatt on 18 March 2012, 07:24:37 PM
Hi, there. I am a new member to this forum, but not to Pendraken. Can anyone tell me if, any of the existing ranges might be used as figures for this war, I was think of  possible SCW range.

SCW ranges would be the best bet, also have a look at WW1 British in service caps. Doing a search on 'bush hat' would also give you some Indo-China type figures that would work as well.

QuoteAlso is there any of the present range that could be used for the Carden-Lloyd Mk. VI tankettes (machinegun carriers). I have always be interested in the Inter-War Period.

Sadly no. Refer to my posts on the T27 tankette. The Renault UE in the French WW2 list has the closest suspension but you'd have to do some conversion work. If you weren't fussy you could use the Italian C33/35 tankette (Italian WW2 list) or the Polish TK3 tankette made by another company

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

billwyatt

Thank you for the information,  I looked and I do think that the Militia-Andaluz in sombrero in the SCW range , could a very good match for  the Paraguayan armed forces. :)

billwyatt

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 18 March 2012, 09:36:17 PM
Doing a search on 'bush hat' would also give you some Indo-China type figures that would work as well.

Can you tell me which of the Indo-China range  figures were you be thinking of for the Chaco War period, please ?

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Quote from: billwyatt on 21 March 2012, 09:26:55 AM
Can you tell me which of the Indo-China range  figures were you be thinking of for the Chaco War period, please ?

It all depends on how fussy you are on weapons, there are:-

VC8 Riflemen, kneeling, firing, bush hat
VM5 Bo Dai Phuong, Thompson SMG, bush hat, kneeling
Only one I can find a photo of
on the right
VC10 LMG, Vz 30, kneeling, bush hat
V4 Riflemen, running, M16, bush hat...
VC2 Riflemen, firing, AK-47, bush hat...
VC12 LMG, Vz 30, prone, bush hat...

There's also
VC11 MMG 7.7mm Type 92 team, bush hat (3)...
but you'd have to do some work on the MMG.

Maybe asking on the 20th century fora for people who are familiar with these figures would give you a better idea.

Also you might want to think about the new ACW figures coming out soon, the confederates might also look the part.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

billwyatt

Thank you for your help, I am not to sure about the ones armed with M16's &  AK47's but, the ones armed with  the Thompson SMG & vz 30's, both of which were used by the Paraguayans or are very similar to what they had. The Thompson SMG's for the Paraguayans were donated by  a rich old lady, you just wonder where she got them from ??
The vz 30's are ideal for Vickers-Brethier or CSZ Brno ZB-26 & the Madsen M1903 with straight ammo clip, the Paraguayan brought via diffferent sources.
I look forward to the new ACW ranges that would be great for the rank & file of the Paraguayan Army.