No one would have believed...

Started by Wulf, 25 May 2013, 01:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

What is there out there in the way of Martian Tripods? Pendraken's own, while looking good in a Jeff Wayne fashion, aren't my image of a Tripod. My urge to game War of the Worlds has been reawakened by the Kickstarter for All Quiet on the Martian Front. The Tripods in that are beautiful, and just what I want - but are vastly oversized for my liking and completely unwieldy on the game table. What else is there out there, preferably with pictures?

Additionally, if anyone can help, what range of figures would suit the British army of the period, while in Britain? Most of the wars fought around that period (late 19th Century) were fought in warmer climes, so the uniforms - and especially the hats - look wrong for the Home Front. I'm hoping to accommodate this in 10mm, since almost all my minis are 10mm... I think I asked this long ago, maybe even here, but time has passed & manufacturers may have added options.

Wulf

Wulf

Incidentally, if you're wondering why I don't care for the Pendraken version, or most of the other depictions of Martian tripods, here's a quote from the original text, chapter 10:
"A monstrous tripod, higher than many houses, striding over the young pine trees, and smashing them aside in its career; a walking engine of glittering metal, striding now across the heather; articulate ropes of steel dangling from it, and the clattering tumult of its passage mingling with the riot of the thunder. A flash, and it came out vividly, heeling over one way with two feet in the air, to vanish and reappear almost instantly as it seemed, with the next flash, a hundred yards nearer. Can you imagine a milking stool tilted and bowled violently along the ground? "

That description clearly describes it walking by rotating around one leg at a time. Look at most, if not all, of the depictions of the Tripods, and they almost universally ignore this first, original, description!