HOTT Questions

Started by Baconheimer, 13 May 2013, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconheimer

So I was playing HOTT with 25mm earlier.  I have a few questions and comments.
1.  Nobody would ever die with a six sided die with all the advantages.
2.  So Artillery dosent get any disadvantages when meleeing a behemoth?
3.  So there are no partial unit desructions?

GordonY

1. Depends on the unit, theres always the case of "I roll a 1, he rolls a 6, OOOPS", also remember that in certain match ups you only have to beat them to destroy them.

2. cant remember, dont have the rules handy

3. Nope, theyre either there cheering lustily and advancing or running for the hills, destroyed.

It is a great set of rules just dont take whats on the table too literally, that 3 figure warband is in reality about 500 screaming psychos out for blood, that is until they get stopped cold by a 4 figure Blades unit (about 600 well drilled Roman legionaries) and all theyre screaming psychoness deserts them and they decide that theyre gonna go home.

Baconheimer

Quote from: GordonY on 13 May 2013, 07:22:55 AM
2. cant remember, dont have the rules handy
Theres nothing about that in there, so I guess I will have to create a few new rules.

SV52

Quote from: Baconheimer on 13 May 2013, 12:20:48 AM
3.  So there are no partial unit desructions?

A house rule I use is that every close combat defeat, other than 'destroyed' of course, equals 1 figure in the element, so four figures can get beaten 3 times, they are toast the fourth time. Recorded by placing a small flag somewhere on the element.

As can be seen the lower left element has already been beaten twice and the accompanying element to its right beaten once.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Baconheimer

Quote from: SV52 on 13 May 2013, 12:40:44 PM
A house rule I use is that every close combat defeat, other than 'destroyed' of course, equals 1 figure in the element, so four figures can get beaten 3 times, they are toast the fourth time. Recorded by placing a small flag somewhere on the element.

As can be seen the lower left element has already been beaten twice and the accompanying element to its right beaten once.
Thats an interesting idea.  I will try it soon.

AndyT

As Gordon says, don't take the rules too literally, but they are a great set of rules in my opinion.

Artillery (against Behemoth) have the disadvantage that if they lose the combat by even just one then they are dead. However putting your behemoth in against artillery is generally not advisable because if the behemoth loses (not doubled) then he recoils and flees, potentially causing havoc to any of your forces you may have placed behind him within recoil distance.

Cheers,
Andy

SV52

Quote from: AndyT on 22 May 2013, 12:56:58 PM
As Gordon says, don't take the rules too literally, but they are a great set of rules in my opinion.

Artillery (against Behemoth) have the disadvantage that if they lose the combat by even just one then they are dead. However putting your behemoth in against artillery is generally not advisable because if the behemoth loses (not doubled) then he recoils and flees, potentially causing havoc to any of your forces you may have placed behind him within recoil distance.

Cheers,
Andy

Yeah, always beware of the buttocks of doom.  I've lost several fights by my general crossing too close behind a behemoth which gets beaten in the same round.  With a 60mm base depth for the behemoth, it's too easily done  :-[
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Baconheimer

Quote from: AndyT on 22 May 2013, 12:56:58 PM

Cheers,
Andy

In this situation, my brother decided to pull his forces into a squre, which I then bombarded with my artillery.  He then sent his behemoths running out, straight at the artillery.

AndyT

Ooh! Behemoths in a square. What a lovely artillery target  :)

Don't forget that behemoths flee from artillery shooting as well as in melee. Artillery can be fragile but very useful, and if you are close enough you can support them with shooting from Shooters to get -1 or -2 on the enemy.

Luddite

Quote from: Baconheimer on 13 May 2013, 12:20:48 AM
1.  Nobody would ever die with a six sided die with all the advantages.

Note sure what you mean there.

There are matchups where an element won't die. 

E.g. 1x Blade vs 1x Blade can never destroy each other, as even a 6:1 split won't result in a doubled outcome (5+1=6 vs 5+6=11).

The skill of the game is getting the right match ups and positions to get those kills in.

Quote2.  So Artillery dosent get any disadvantages when meleeing a behemoth?

Not inherently, although if the artillery's beaten its destroyed.  With both artillery and behemoth fighting on +4 its a very tense dice off!

Quote3.  So there are no partial unit desructions?

That's what the 'recoil' or 'flee' results represent.  HotT, like all the DBx rules, model effects and outcomes rather than tracking hits or whatever. 
So a recoiling element is falling back, taking losses and its morale is shaky as it gives ground to enemy pressure.
Destroyed means the unit's fighting capacity breaks due to casualties and a collapse in morale.

Once you get your head into the mindset of the rules you'll find them making a lot of sense.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN