Another reason to love 10mm

Started by Last Hussar, 09 June 2010, 02:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Imagine that you own a ruleset where the figures used by the author are 25/28mm, and measuements are in inches.  The scenarios in the rule book take place on 12'x6' tables.  This means that you really need to be a Famous Game Designer, and have freinds with "freakishly long arms" to have the space and ability to play.

If you convert that to cm you get 10mm figures and ground scales in cms, a 36 man battalion costs less than £4, rather than £20 -40 (depending on plasti/metal).  That much we knew.

HOWEVER that 12x6 table becomes 1m44 x 72cm - less than 5'x3' - dining table size.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Thomas Trolljaeger

Yes, that's true.
Besides, your entire army fits into a lunchbox and can be brought nearly everywhere.

Alas, this also means that, unless you want to adapt a bit more the rules, you will have to base individually your miniatures on 1cm squares.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

10mm does indeed lend itself well to this technique; also to dealing with Charles S Grant tabletop teasers which are usually on a 9' x 6' table. 

Charles Grant's 'The Wargame' has infantry 'regiments' taking up 12.5 inches or so with roughly 54 figure units.   If I deploy two of my 24 figure 10mm battalions (now based if not yet painted) together and add a mounted field officer I have much the same result in about 8" which means my 6' x 4' table counts as a 9' x 6'.  Mind you my initial games will use cm and (tweaked) Black Powder rules for the Tabletop Teasers and use my 24 figure battalions until I scale up my forces. 

Regards

Edward

Sandinista

Fitting an army into your lunchbox would make sitting down awkward ;D

Thomas Trolljaeger

Quote from: Sandinista on 09 June 2010, 12:56:17 PM
Fitting an army into your lunchbox would make sitting down awkward ;D
I was referring to this kind of lunchbox, you pervert.