Q of the Week: Only one period?

Started by Leon, 08 June 2010, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

If you could only game in one period, which would it be and why?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

goat major

AWI - the uniforms (esp 1768 warrant), the small battles, the lack of cavalry ( no horses to paint hurray!), the scenery, the interesting tactical balance ( regulars, militia, lights, indians, rifles, bayonets).

Also because there have been a number of things that have got me interested since I was a kid - airfix 1/72 grenadiers and washingtons army, airfix 54mm awi multipose models, the curt johnson book with all the peter gilder figures, those adverts on the back of american comics to buy awi armies, my first ever metal figues ( two hinchliffe grenadiers from redcar!)

Oh and also the interesting uniforms of the mounted generals (oh hang on.......)
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

ronan

it's very hard to tell..
I'd say WW2, russian front.

(or the ACW, or something else.. no, it's too hard to choose !   :-X )

Steve J

WWII for me. It's what I started with all too many years ago using Airfix figures, tanks etc. Such a breadth of materiel to be used; so many different theatres of war; anything from small local skirmishes all the way up to Bagration/Barbarossa and Normandy type battles.

privateer

War of 1812, if you can choose any scale, its a great tactical/skirmish with interesting units.
If its 10mm, they its Franco-Prussian 1870/1866/1859 because of the grand scale you can play and advancing technology of warfare.

nikharwood

Good question Leon  8)

Instinct tells me WW2 - for pretty much the same reasons as Steve...although I'm torn to H&M as well [would be Napoleonics there] because of the visual aspect...tricky!

DanJ

Ancients

That way I can have lots of armies  :D

I refuse to sub divide the period in case it limits my playing options  ;D

jchaos79

ufff that is a hard one!

Fortunatly pendraken has a lot of them... well I think antiquity / classic world (from Summer to late roman period). And maybe fantasy in close range.

Why? well ancient warfare is based in a lot infantry, has the option of special units as chariots, elephants, etc... and are beatifull to paint (by the way is more fun to me than WWII or modern). Also requiere some historical research, and it is also part of the hobby.

Sandinista

It would be late medieval/early renaissance for me. From English v Scots, Aztec v Spanish to Japan v Korea, the variety of troop types and tactics as well as the colour wins. Pretty toys on table is what its all about  :P

Luddite

Impossible to answer really.

I guess if pressed it'd have to be ancients (re; DBM 3000BC-1500AD), simply as it covers such a wide variety of armies and battle types and offers therefore variety to keep things interesting.

I am of course assuming that 'fantasy' and 'sci-fi' aren't 'periods'...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Patrick R

It would be a toss between WSS and Ancients.

17-21l

War of Turkish-Belgian monkey slave trade 1249 - 1267 (when are you lot going to get your fingers out to produce the figures??!!)
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lentulus

I only game one period -- post-lithic

If I get into cave men, that will make two.

Leon

Quote from: 17-21l on 08 June 2010, 10:10:43 PM
War of Turkish-Belgian monkey slave trade 1249 - 1267 (when are you lot going to get your fingers out to produce the figures??!!)

There's just not many votes for it.  If there was, then who knows what might happen!  ;D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 09 June 2010, 12:53:05 AM
I only game one period -- post-lithic

If I get into cave men, that will make two.

Now that's dodging the question!  :P