Basing vehicles

Started by fsn, 27 April 2013, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen, (are there any ladies out there?)

I have seen from many photographs that some people put their vehicles and some don't. I am a minimalist and therefore don't. I can usually mark each vehicle so that it can be recognised, but just wondered what the pros and cons are?

I use bases for keeping infantry and gun crews together. I'm not a big fan of massively worked bases, nor bases for bases sake. Am I missing something?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GordonY

Bases stop cheesy FOW players from running their tanks bogey to bogey, well at least theres a minimal seperation to them, apart from that it gives a small amount of protection from bent gun barrels when stored and transported. I personally have all mine on bases but then again I put everything on bases apart from my Dystopian Wars stuff.

Fenton

I base mine just to prevent damage on the table plus I can put magna strip on the base so they stay stll in my metal tool boxes

Oh and there are ladies that post here .I only know of Paint it Pink but I am sure there are more
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Hertsblue

Like you, I only base towed guns and their crews, mainly from necessity. The problem with bases is that, on stand-alone models they look fine, but when placed into sculpted terrain they stand out like sore thumbs. As far as transit damage is concerned, I have invested in foam-lined carrying boxes that cushion the models anyway.

However, each to his (or her) own.  :)   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Steve J

Unbased looks better on roads and in BUA IMHO.

petercooman

I find it looks better based, as otherwise the troops stand taller than the tanks!