Salute Continental Wars Society Battle of Nachod 1866

Started by Bernie, 21 April 2013, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Hi

Took a few minutes away from our game to take pics of splendid Battle of Nachod game by General John DZ & Andrew Brentnall (also forum members) who were highlighting their joint book on the Opening Battles of the War of 1866 in the Wargaming in History series.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/BernardGanley/library/Salute%20Continental%20Wars%20Society%201866%20Game

Figures from Pendraken and terrain from Realistic Modelling. Even able to take a pic of Leon with John!

Leon

Nice pics of a great looking game!  I'll be popping a link to these on the Salute thread as well.

8)

I don't know how you managed to get that picture of me though, you must have used some ninja skills there...  >:(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

kev1964

beautiful  looking game and lovely figures, shame i couldn,t have seen it in the flesh but great to see the pic,s,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Great game with masses of well-painted figures. Enjoyed chatting with the guys and learned a great deal about Prussian and Austrian tactics.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sorry I could only stop for a minute or two, busy day trading. Looked amazing! V cool!  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

andyrob

John/Andrew

What a fantastic looking game you had there at Salute. I came past a couple of times and had a good look. Sorry for not introducing myself. You both were fully engaged with other punters each time I came and my very British reserve prevented me from interrupting! I'm not at all surprised it attracted so many interested onlookers. But I regret not having more time to stay longer - the unforgiving demands of Salute I'm afraid and the peculiar way time always seems to disappear in a flash at Excel!!

I must say your book, which I have already started in earnest, after a quick look at all the pretty pictures I admit, is superb. I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone who either already has an interest in the Seven Weeks War or who just loves the look of big battalions in 10mm. A public health warning to other forum members is in order though. If you look at the pictures on this forum your bank balance will be soon reduced and a lovely new book and lots of shiny new Pendraken figures will be winging their way to you!! But you'll be a happy man/woman when they arrive.

I have already started reorganising my troops to fit with the size of your units which are perfect for understanding/reenacting the lower-level tactics of the period armed with the book's 1866 revisions to RF&F. I am trying to be clever and do so in a manner that means I can also use the same troops for Bernie's "Trapped Like a Fox" which are the perfect counterbalance for grand tactical corps level and above fights and campaigns. I seem to have enough figures for 2 RF&F brigades per side with cavalry/artillery support. A few more might be in order then!!

Thank you once again for putting so much effort into both the book and the display game. I wish you every success and look forward to volume 2 on Koniggratz. Perhaps given the size of that battle it could run to volumes 2 and 3?!!

Cheers

Andy Robinson

PS I will keep my ears open for any news of a 2014 tour of the battlefields. I've already started saving!

mollinary

Dear Andy,

Thanks for all the kind words, sorry we did not get to have a chat.  You need to be more pushy, mate! :D   On the basing, you are doing exactly what I did. My initial armies were for TLAF, with the width of the foot bases reduced to 25mm because I preferred the look, and as TLAF is fought using squares of terrain, the exact size of figure bases does not matter. As long as you can get the right number of units in a 10" square.  The cavalry remain on 30mm squares, as do the artillery.  Why?  First, I didn't feel like rebasing them!  Second, they fitted the figures, particularly the new ones, very well.  Third, I rationalised it as reducing the number of bases they can get into combat with the infantry, whcih is no bad thing in this period. 

Best Regards,

Andrew

PS, If you have any questions post away!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

holdfast

The Continental Wars Society is contemplating a tour of Bohemia in 2014, as is the Cultural Experience. If you are not a member of CWS you should join forthwith as it's the best £6 worth around today.
Sorry to miss you, I have no idea where the time went. It was the first Salute for years where I was not bored by 3pm. I didn't even have time to run the Nachod Prussian limerick competition: There was an old man called von Wnuck.....
Holdfast

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leon

Quote from: barbarian on 26 April 2013, 11:50:49 AM
Leon seems to be 17 years old. ;) ;)  :d

Indeed, one of the reasons I don't like pictures of myself...  :(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

Better to look younger than your age than older.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net