Bretons for Saga- WIP

Started by Serotonin, 13 April 2013, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serotonin

Finally painted the first of my Bretons for Saga. Im using Conquest Games plastic Norman Knights, with a hand transplant and a metal javelin. Fairly pleased so far- its been a nice cheap way of doing a Saga force. 6 pts for under £40.

Still unsure if I want to keep the black shield designs (apparently according to an ancient Frankish chronicle, Bretons used black shields) and I might end up using some Little Big Man Studios decals on them at some point. Might hold my nerve and see how they all look in black first though.

Serotonin

Heres my Breton warlord sort of completed. Couple of bits I need to touch up and realised I hadnt painted the horses eyes!

I was going to keep the shield black like the rest of my force but it looked pretty crappy with such a large kite shield and a black horse. So I decided to have a go at a sort of freehand Celtic knot design  and I think it came out reasonably well considering its the first time Ive ever done a free hand shield design.

Kiwidave

Techno

Very nice indeed !! :-bd
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Seriously amazing shield!
For the cavalry I would just put a light fine soil dry brush around the lower edge of the shield for added 'depth' otherwise I have to say they work beautifully!  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Serotonin

Thats a good idea Mad Lemmy.

Nosher

Loving these.

Saga's a great game too!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Serotonin

Yeah it really is Nosher. We havent had a duff game of it yet. Im looking forward to using these Bretons as they look super annoying with all that riding about throwing javelins and then scarpering.  :d

petercooman

kev1964

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

Quote from: Serotonin on 13 April 2013, 07:56:42 PM
Yeah it really is Nosher. We havent had a duff game of it yet. Im looking forward to using these Bretons as they look super annoying with all that riding about throwing javelins and then scarpering.  :d

When used well they are known as the 'untouchables' in certain hands!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

Nice.

Is the Warlord a metal figure, and if so from whom?

I too am in the midst of putting together a Breton warband from the conquest figures, I have used a few heads from WGF and their javelins to make the troops more Breton and less Norman. I've got a set of the LBM decals waiting ready and waiting - I'll let you know how well they fit the Conquest shields. From a quick eyeball they seem about right.

Bretons seem to be suddenly popular! Have you seen these ones over on TMP http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=302497 they have some good posing of the figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Serotonin

Its the Gripping Beast Breton warlord.

Its quite a nice figure, but I was disappointed the kite shield was cast on, as Ive deliberately given my force round shields so they look different from the Normans.

Those ones on TMP do look nice. Im going to use the unarmoured bodies (and the quilted leather armoured ones) from the Conquest sprue for my Warriors. Im running with 5 hearthguards and 1 warrior unit. That way 2 boxes will do the trick.

I might look at putting some different heads on the Warriors, but not quite sure how to pull that off.