A voyage into the unknown

Started by Charon, 05 April 2013, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Having recently been made redundant, I've decided to invest/write off some of my payment into commissioning a small line of 28mm miniatures and have decided to record the process in a blog (as therapy as much as for any other reason  ;D )

If anyone's interested in following my stumbling through the world of blogging or commissioning a range of figures, the blog can be found at  http://albioninvaded.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers,

Jon

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great site, good luck!  :D
Love the map distortion so Britain is longer than France, Spain or Italy!  :d
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno

Very best of luck Jon. :-bd

If you get your designer to make things in 'kit form', so you can produce a lot of 'different' models at a lower cost than making oodles of 'one off' masters.....IN THE LONG TERM.

I've done this in the past for one company in particular.

It DOES/WILL take time to recoup your original investment though.

There will be lots of 'hidden' costs that suddenly spring up that you might have missed at the moment.....
You'll save on the costs from your designer....But that will be somewhat offset by the extra you have to pay for mouldmaking and casting
Really go into your costings with a fine tooth comb.

Cheers - Phil.

Charon

05 April 2013, 01:14:24 PM #4 Last Edit: 05 April 2013, 01:28:56 PM by Leon
Quote from: Techno on 05 April 2013, 12:15:55 PM
Very best of luck Jon. :-bd

If you get your designer to make things in 'kit form', so you can produce a lot of 'different' models at a lower cost than making oodles of 'one off' masters.....IN THE LONG TERM.

I've done this in the past for one company in particular.

It DOES/WILL take time to recoup your original investment though.

There will be lots of 'hidden' costs that suddenly spring up that you might have missed at the moment.....
You'll save on the costs from your designer....But that will be somewhat offset by the extra you have to pay for mouldmaking and casting
Really go into your costings with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks Phil,

I'll probably go with the kit form, the sculptor also suggested it as an option.

I'm under absolutely no misconception that I'm going to make any money out of this - if I cover my costs I'll be happy; it's more about realising an ambition really  :D

Cheers - Phil.

EDIT: Quote fixed.

Charon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 April 2013, 11:10:19 AM
Great site, good luck!  :D
Love the map distortion so Britain is longer than France, Spain or Italy!  :d

Is it? I'm having a nightmare with Blogger (which may be something to do with me being clueless!).

When I look at the blog, half the time there's no map, but the rest of the time it looks ok. Will get my techie brother to have a look for me!

Leon

Looks good to me, and I like the layout as well.  Do all the posts line up in a grid as you make them, so people can click the one they want to read?  That'd be a cool feature.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The map is distorted by its publisher, partly by the map projection, partly to make Britain look more important. Just one of those propaganda details the eye picks up. Nothing to do with your website!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Charon

Quote from: Leon on 05 April 2013, 01:58:32 PM
Looks good to me, and I like the layout as well.  Do all the posts line up in a grid as you make them, so people can click the one they want to read?  That'd be a cool feature.

You'd think I'd know the answer to that and I'm sure there might be a way to do it. I'll have a play and see what happens.

Better get some coins ready for the swear box...

Charon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 April 2013, 02:32:49 PM
The map is distorted by its publisher, partly by the map projection, partly to make Britain look more important. Just one of those propaganda details the eye picks up. Nothing to do with your website!

I've just opened it in Safari and see what you mean  ;D

Surely Britain is that big  ;D ;D

Hertsblue

Like the idea of "multipose" in metal. If the plastics boys can do it, why not in lead alloy?

Anyway, good luck with the venture. Everyone needs a lift after redundancy.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Charon

Quote from: Hertsblue on 06 April 2013, 11:05:29 AM
Like the idea of "multipose" in metal. If the plastics boys can do it, why not in lead alloy?

Anyway, good luck with the venture. Everyone needs a lift after redundancy.  :-bd

Thank you!

to be honest the only multipose element is likely to be the head - the kits which Phil refers to are the initial sculpts from which the masters are made. You produce several elements (rifle, body, kit etc) get it cast up and produce the masters from these. It saves the scuptor time and me money!!

This has definitely given me a lift, it's been something I've wanted to do for years. On top of that I have a "selection day" for a job on Tuesday, so fingers crossed!

Techno

Very best of luck on both counts Charon !!
Cheers - Phil.

nikharwood

Excellent - best of luck with this, Jon!

Poggle

Very best of luck with your project.  :) I believe commissioning your own figures is something every gamer secretly - or not so secretly - wants to do.  ;)