Interwar variant of HOTT for people to look at.

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 04 April 2013, 03:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hi All

Just fiddling around to get an Interwar variant of HOTT to try and wean the local 40K players onto non-GW games. It's not finished (still got more troop types to add) but if you could look at it and let me know what you think I'd be grateful. You would need HOTT to make any sense of it if you weren't familiar with the rules.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Just wanted to add that HOTT is available free from http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/HOTT2.pdf. You'd need them to understand the variant.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Luddite

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 04 April 2013, 03:55:16 AM
Hi All

Just fiddling around to get an Interwar variant of HOTT to try and wean the local 40K players onto non-GW games. It's not finished (still got more troop types to add) but if you could look at it and let me know what you think I'd be grateful. You would need HOTT to make any sense of it if you weren't familiar with the rules.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Generals shouldn't get +1 CF.  That's not really appropriate for the period as they aren't 'heroes fighting in the front line'.

+2CF  Militia, Infantry, Stormtrooper/SMG or Machinegun in close combat while in cover.

That's bonkers!  Why would being in cover make these troops amazingly effective?!
If you intent is this is harder for attackers to dig them out, make it a -1CF for the attacker?

Militia   Destroyed by Shock Cavalry in good going or by Infantry or dismounted cavalry. Otherwise recoil - et.al.

Absolutely, brutally insanely overpowered!!!
The main combat units instant-kill each other in shooting an melee? 
Way to overbalanced.  I had this with my HotT conversion for 1870 - militia autokilled by Infantry in close combat.  Its WAY too much. 

I went with everything recoiling, except 'Militia in good going flee from close combat with infantry or cavalry'.  It works FAR better.  Basically the militia are OK at holding defended ground but in the open will flee from proper fighters.

Also, 'shock cavalry' from this period were basically bullet magnets.  They should be largely ineffective.

Machineguns and mortars, the two killer infantry weapons of the period, don't auto kill anything. 

I'd suggest:

Less than the enemy but more than half, RECOIL except;
Militia  -  Destroyed if in the open and shot at by mortars, or by Machineguns they moved into contact with this bound
Infantry  -  Destroyed by machineguns they moved into contact with this bound
Cavalry  -  Destroyed if in the open and shot at by mortars, or by Infantry or Machineguns they moved into contact with this bound
etc.

Most of the combat outcomes need a rethink i'd suggest.  How do mounted autokill light tanks for example?

:-\

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN