Gauls

Started by Techno, 02 April 2013, 03:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

What bothers me about Gauls is that they used a big shield like that with a simple central handgrip. Where's that pragmatic Celtic problem-solving inventiveness?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Wulf

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 March 2014, 11:43:08 AM
What bothers me about Gauls is that they used a big shield like that with a simple central handgrip. Where's that pragmatic Celtic problem-solving inventiveness?
What's wrong with that? Shields should be used dynamically, sweeping your opponent's weapon away, blocking his view, slamming into him, or using the edges against his legs or sides. They're just as much a weapon as a defence. A centre-grip shield is far more useful to a mobile individual warrior.

FierceKitty

Mechanically weak against a strong blow, that's what's wrong with it.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Even weaker when there is a Roman pilum embedded in it! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Presumably worse than having no shield at all, if the balance was so 'boggered' ?
Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 March 2014, 12:07:51 PM
Mechanically weak against a strong blow, that's what's wrong with it.
Only if you stand there & let him hit you - the centre-grip shield of the Celts, Gauls & Vikings was designed to sweep away an opponent's weapon, not block it. The weight of the shield - and it was pretty weighty - and sweeping movement would deflect the blow well. You could - for short periods - hold your opponent at arm's reach, so he couldn't swing at you at all, it was never designed to be held close to the body (except in the Shield Wall, and that was purely defensive, unlike the Romans')

Speaking of which, if the large single-grip shield was so bad, how come the Roman Empire conquered the known world with it?

FierceKitty

...or despite it. Beware the intoxication of rhetoric!

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 09 March 2014, 01:19:37 PM
...or despite it.

It would never have become so widely used if it didn't have it's advantages. The Romans were great adopters of other people's good ideas, if there were better options out there for their style of combat they'd have filched them in a heartbeat.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

get2grips

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 March 2014, 03:03:00 PM
It would never have become so widely used if it didn't have it's advantages. The Romans were great adopters of other people's good ideas, if there were better options out there for their style of combat they'd have filched them in a heartbeat.

Agreed.  Until, of course, tactics or technology advance.

dopplebockdunkel

Is there any news on the Gauls and Early Imperial Roman releases? It has been very quiet :(

Leon

Quote from: dopplebockdunkel on 18 May 2015, 04:30:23 PM
Is there any news on the Gauls and Early Imperial Roman releases? It has been very quiet :(

It has indeed been very quiet on these, they've been bumped down the pecking order unfortunately as we had so many other things that needed releasing.  I do plan on getting them master moulded in the coming weeks, and then we can hopefully see them production moulded and released before the end of summer.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep