Gauls

Started by Techno, 02 April 2013, 03:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTerrain

Phil,

A great looking bunch of Gauls, that will definately become part of my collection for Dux B and DBA (a big yes to the chariot as well please Leon  :D )

Looking forward to an early release,

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Thanks Craig. ;)

As one exists in the current range....(Which I can hack about to my heart's content)....I'm guessing (wildly) that that will be a 'goer'.
I'll 'talk' to 'the man'..........Soon. ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

A chariot would be great :).

OldenBUA

Quote from: Techno on 29 May 2013, 11:40:36 AM
As one exists in the current range....(Which I can hack about to my heart's content)....I'm guessing (wildly) that that will be a 'goer'.
I'll 'talk' to 'the man'..........Soon. ;)

You do know that after 'pimping a ride' for the Gauls you'll be flooded with requests for other vehicles, don't you?

Go on then, you know you want to. I'll have a GAZ jeep, BMP and a couple of BTR's for a start.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Techno

Quote from: OldenBUA on 29 May 2013, 11:52:31 AM
You do know that after 'pimping a ride' for the Gauls you'll be flooded with requests for other vehicles, don't you?
Go on then, you know you want to. I'll have a GAZ jeep, BMP and a couple of BTR's for a start.

Nah :P..... I don't do vehicles. ;) ;D (The chariot could be an exception  ;))
I had a complete surfeit of 'straight line' model making with 'Mechs' for Ral Partha and Wizkids etc years ago.
I truly can't stand doing that sort of stuff nowadays.....Drives me completely spare.

I'll leave those sorts of models to Martin (Mart678)......I think he gets as much enjoyment out of making those, as I do making 'organic' models. ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Leman

Oh flippin 'eck - that's another army I want to give my Earlies a workout.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Techno on 29 May 2013, 01:16:39 PM
Nah :P..... I don't do vehicles. ;) ;D (The chariot could be an exception  ;))
I had a complete surfeit of 'straight line' model making with 'Mechs' for Ral Partha and Wizkids etc years ago.
I truly can't stand doing that sort of stuff nowadays.....Drives me completely spare.

I'll leave those sorts of models to Martin (Mart678)......I think he gets as much enjoyment out of making those, as I do making 'organic' models. ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Organic models - are they the ones you have to dip in fertiliser, Phil?  :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

They certainly are Ray..

You wait until you see the range of killer tomatoes that are sitting on the desk !
I'm not sure whether Leon sees them as something that will fit in with any range at the moment though. :P
Cheers - Phil.

seano1815

Phil you've done it again....I can't wait to get my sweaty hands on your gauls (good job, I re-read that :P). They look fantastic :D
all the best
Sean

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Mental image! My eyes, the burn!b :-&
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Phobos

:P more pics of the fantastic gauls?

Dunnadd

Quotefrom the references I've got, if anything, they might be a teensy weensy tad on the long side as they are. Undecided
From an aesthetic point of view, I think I'd agree with you....Historically I believe the representation's about right.

Yeah - i'm always surprised by how short Gallic and Celtic swords were too. Seemed to have averaged from 18 inches to about two feet which seems too short for a slashing weapon. And from the WRG book on Carthaginain/Libyan spearmen they had too few spears to throw but their spears seemed to be too short to use like a hoplite spear which is just confusing. Seems wrong that many ancient weapons were so short, but still seem to have been short in many cases (phalangite's pikes and xyston lances apart obviously)

FierceKitty

As someone recently pointed out, there's the Spartan solution to the problem of a short weapon: step up closer.

But ferocity and short weapons will work wonders at times; ask my Zulus.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

The gladius wasn't exactly huge.

Can short weapons be an indicator of technology and economics as much as tactics?   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Gallic swords, early ones anyway, were cast bronze - you really don't want to make a bronze sword too long, or it'll end up either too thin & prone to bending & breaking (which the Romans thought Gallic swords were anyway) or excessively thick & heavy, making it slow & cumbersome. Even short, though, they'd carry quite a bit of weight & momentum (especially with a leaf shape shifting the balance point forward), and would be pretty lethal when swung. The weight would go badly against them if stabbed, it's harder to get momentum up over that short distance, and the bronze would lose it's point (and edge) quickly.