What made you choose Pendraken?

Started by ryman1, 01 April 2013, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

My choice was quite deliberate. I was trying to move away from 15, 20 and 25mm into a single scale and preferably supplier that would a) cater ranges for  all my needs b) look right in skirmish and big battalion games, and c) allow for one set of scenery to be used (that immense tree in 15mm is but a sapling to the 25mm giants.)   

I was also pretty hacked off with my 20mm Panthers not being able to engage at 8' - approx 200 yds. Something smaller was called for. I considered standardising on 15mm, but they were too tall. Then I thought about 5mm, but they were too small. Then I thought about 10mm and they were just right. I'd used 5mm and 15mm, but never 10mm. I felt the desire for something new.

Next stage was research. I narrowed the possible suppliers to three (two of which I won't mention) based on ranges, compnay profile and of course, price. I sent for the same samples from each - Churchill tank, C15 knight, ACW infantry - then sat back and waited.

One company pretty much ruled themselves out with what can only be described as a Byzantine payment system (that reminds me Leon, where's my Byzantine range?).

When the samples arrived, I painted them all the same way, and looked at them to see which appealed. One had a Churchill which looked to long and thin and somehow elegant. That ruled them out. My Churchills are ugly, brutish and somehow reminiscent of a Stegasaurus (That is the dinosaur, don't all go rushing to your tank recognition books.)

So, my decision to go with Pendraken was coldly logical and I haven't regretted it at all. Except for the fact that they stilll haven't got the chariot ranges I've been after, and my Frech WWII infantry are slumming it in artillery tractors and the Napoleonic British range needs filling - Pendraken provide a good range, at a reasonable price and deliver in acceptable timescales.

Long may it do so.

(Think we said £20, Leon?)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

I first met Dave when I started trading at shows around the year dot. He's a nice guy, we chatted a lot at the shows and I decided to try the Aliens/marines range. So impressed with the quality and I was hooked from there on! ;)

Then Warmaster Ancients got released and who else would you want to buy your armies from? I replaced my huge 15mm WotR collection with a huge 10mm WotR collection.

I've still got 28mm stuff for skirmish games, and 15mm armies for Europe 1859-71, WW2 Burma and Korean War. Everything else has now been replaced with 10mm and all my new projects for the past 7-8 years have been done in 10mm. :D

republic of tolworth

Back in 92 or 93 I was lured to the SCW and Vietnam figures (wildgeese?) from the awful action 200 stuff I had. Always liked the small scales. 15mm or less. Gave me more troops at lower price and more fighting space. That and I always thought warty k was silly even as a kid  :P.

I do remember having to phone Daves to put in orders. Always ended up with some clueless kid on the line...  :D
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 09 April 2013, 07:36:54 AM
(Think we said £20, Leon?)

:D

Quote from: republic of tolworth on 09 April 2013, 09:28:01 AM
I do remember having to phone Daves to put in orders. Always ended up with some clueless kid on the line...  :D

L-) ;D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Womble67

Hi all
       The main reason I decided to go with Pendraken was a demonstration game held at triples about six or seven years ago.
However I'd been unhappy with 20mm for a long while it was just wall-to-wall tanks and just seemed wrong, I had looked at 6mm but found that just too small.

However I have yet to convince the other members of my club the benefits of 10mm it is now my preferred scale.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

For me it was The Dungeon!  :d

Followed a link on boardgamegeek.com about the alien miniatures, saw The Dungeon and the rest was history. :-\  umm FANTASY!  :D

Cheers,

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

DHautpol

I have Napoleonic and SYW collections in 6mm (using the very nice Adler figures) and wanted to move into ACW.

I initially looked at the Adler range, which are very nice with plenty of vigour to them.  The problem was that, basing them for Fire & Fury, they seemed a bit too frail.  The Napoleonics and SYW are all in the 'march attack' pose and, whilst I'm sure that a lot of manouevre in the ACW was done in this formation, it just doesn't sit with my image of what ACW should look like, and the advancing and marching figures just had too many bits that stuck out just asking to be broken.

The project went on to hold until I saw Pendraken at a show a couple of years back and began to think of going up a size; the release of the new range, and the deserved praise heaped on it, prompted me to buy the figures.

Once I've progressed the ACW a bit I can look to future projects, I shall probably return to Adler for my AWI but the photos I've seen of the Pendraken FPW range are very tempting, as is the idea of early WWI.

PS. Thanks for the order I collected at Salute; they are already sorted into batches for painting and, as soon as I've cleared a SYW Prussian Kurassier unit and a SYW Prussian Dragoon unit (one half completed and one cleaned and primed) off my table, work can begin.     
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: DHautpol on 24 April 2013, 12:45:54 PM
PS. Thanks for the order I collected at Salute; they are already sorted into batches for painting and, as soon as I've cleared a SYW Prussian Kurassier unit and a SYW Prussian Dragoon unit (one half completed and one cleaned and primed) off my table, work can begin.     

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

HPFlashman

In Russia, Pendraken choose you...

In reality, GOMs postings on GWP and VCBW lured me onto here and being a sucker for eyecandy and having a rather entusiastic outlook on life, I stepped up to the plate and invested in Soudan forces, rulesets and paint which currently resides along side earlier efforts, atleast I didnt go for another VBCW scale.  :D
Best regards,

Harry

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: HPFlashman on 24 April 2013, 04:26:46 PM
at least I didnt go for another VBCW scale.  :D

Go on HPF - picture large scale VBCW engagements with realistic weapon ranges, you know you really want to........ ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

GrumpyOldMan

HPFlashman

Best regards,

Harry

GrumpyOldMan

Chuckle chuckle.....

;D ;D ;D ;D

slinky

Got my first Pendraken stuff from salute when it was at Kensington town hall as I was fed up with the Skytrex quality and havent looked back since!