What made you choose Pendraken?

Started by ryman1, 01 April 2013, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryman1

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, why and when did you decide that Pendraken was for you?

Myself, I saw a link online at my brothers last month to some AWI painted figures and clicked on it, the first image I saw was of immaculately sculpted and painted Pendraken AWI british infantry.
It took me all of 2 seconds to decide that this would be my next major project and so the call  went out for the catalogue and my first order hurried after it.

Since then, I've made another order for some medieval figs to try out and will likely very soon make another to follow it up, so as you can see I'm well and truly hooked by the Pendraken line (tempted to add fishmen pun) and honestly think I've finally found a range that suits my painting style and desire for 'mass effect'.

So, when and how did you find Pendraken or did it find you and what part of the ranges got you hooked?

Cheers

Ry

Fenton

For me apart from Wargames South they were the only 10mm/12mm figures about that we wanted to use for Crossfire
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mollinary

Initially it was a cheap way of getting Austro-Prussian War figures in the '90s. The reason I am still buying is ever improving ranges and the best customer service, bar none.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Chad

My mate DaveL bought me some of the Marlburian range as a birthday present some years ago and I was hooked.

Chad

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Originally bought the Aliens in the early nineties as a joke to bulk out a DBM warband. Came back in 2009 after a friend suggested them for Prussian and French 1870, and not looked back since!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

I hoestly don't recall.

Pendraken has just sort of always been there.   ;D

I think it was probably the fantasy ranges in conjunction with wanting to build Hordes of the Things armies when there aren't any decent 15mm fantasy ranges out there.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

howayman

Began collecting Skytrex 1/200 armour but their infantry left a lot to be desired. Then got some wild geese infantry they were great but vanished, then i came across pendraken, wonderful infantry and armour, totally seduced, the rest they say is history. Still have loads of Skytrex armour,  such is life.

petercooman

I saw them over at my buddies when he set up a bkc game. Bought me some myself, and just love the models. Not to mention the costumer service!!

sebigboss79

Was looking for some way to replay Aliens vs Colonial Marines, found Nik's hp and the rest is hostory.

Leon has kept me with his unbelievable service and speed.
I never regretted.

Le Manchou

It all began with my 1870 project!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

William

Same reason as the original post.  I first ordered AWI british about 3 years ago, and still cannot believe the kind of detail on that small scale.  I am a big fan of Clib's work and sculpting style in this scale.  Little things like displaying relief in garments, as in buttons as indents, rather than raised buttons.  Or the large hands which work to offset the the length of a musket.  In 10mm you need to be creative....

Now about those LoA artillery figures coming out soon... (?)

William

FierceKitty

I lost  all my 15mm pike and shot figures when I had to change countries in a hurry following visa problems. When I'd stopped crying (most of the time), I realised how much cheaper and more mobile 10mm would be. If only they'd make those Aztecs now!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Poggle

Great figures suited to my painting style, excellent customer service, and, for those of us on a budget, more bang for the buck.  ;)  :)

Shecky

I wanted to do TYW with a lot of figures which didn't break the bank. That was probably 8 years ago. I actually heard about Pendraken from Blake many years before but never got into the 10mm scale until I purchased the TYW figures.

Since then I've ventured into WWII British, early and late war German, French, US and now soviets.

I also have ACW, AWI, FPW and Falklands. Oh, and Vietnam.

I'm taken by the LoA and Marlborough figures as well as SYW, but those will have to wait for another day.

Oh, and the TYW project which I initially started has been on hold for years!

Aart Brouwer

I chose 10mm models for reasons of money and space, friends put me on to Pendraken, customer service and general friendliness is what kept me here.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)