French napoleonic army

Started by kev1964, 12 March 2013, 08:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

I'm not easily impressed but man, I'm impressed by that lot =D>
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Matt J

Really really good kev it looks like you black undercoat then base colour and highlight?
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

petercooman

kev1964

Thanks Matt, yes always black undercoat on 6s and now also 10s, i always leave a black line on 6s or leave the base coat colour showing near the different bits ( jacket to trouser etc)and paint the highlight just away from that as it makes the colours stand out more at a distance and you dont get that all colour running into each other  look, if that makes sense, although i,m sure your well aware of that looking at your quality of work.

Thanks peter
cheers
kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

Matt J

Thanks for the info kev. I'm relatively new to this (other than a bit of gw as a kid what you see in my painting diary is all I have) so I'm looking at the best way of doing things particular turning out armies at good quality at a good pace. The technique you ve used is really effective, I undercoat white but seriously thinking about changing. Also basing is very good (something I struggle with) so might copy your style a bit there makes the figures pop  :D
Beep

GordonY

Matt try using this for undercoating

http://www.minibits.net/VAL73602-p808/

I used to swear by Tamiya XF1 but I've made the switch to this stuff and can only describe myself as one contented rabbit.

Matt J

Thanks gordon, does it come as a spray?
Beep

Leon

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 16 March 2013, 04:34:27 PM
Thanks gordon, does it come as a spray?

Vallejo do have some sprays, but I've not started stocking them as yet.  The two things putting me off are firstly the cost (they retail at about £11-12, seems a bit pricey for a spray), and they also can't be shipped outside the UK.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

nope its not a spray but it can be used neat in an airbrush, or if youre like me (a cheapskate) just plastered on with a big brush.

One thing about it is its self-levelling, yeah that confused me as well, but it seems to be like artists Gesso, no matter how much you slap on it all evaporates and doesnt block up any of the detail.

In short, try it, you'll love it, whats to lose? Its only a fiver, I pay that for a size 3 brush.

ryman1

Kev, that last pic is brilliant, I've always had a softspot for French napoleonics, the only thing that puts me off (ironically, as I love variety) is the research needed to fully understand how the army is put together - pom poms, plumes, epaulettes etc seem to change with every company.

Definitely a project in the far future once I've got a grasp of it.

Thanks for sharing. :)

kev1964

Cheers Ry,

I have a couple of funcken and a waterloo armies book that covers most things, anything else i use the net. A nice period to do if you like lots of colour.
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

Hertsblue

Quote from: ryman1 on 19 March 2013, 08:52:10 AM
Kev, that last pic is brilliant, I've always had a softspot for French napoleonics, the only thing that puts me off (ironically, as I love variety) is the research needed to fully understand how the army is put together - pom poms, plumes, epaulettes etc seem to change with every company.

Definitely a project in the far future once I've got a grasp of it.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Ry, much of what was worn by the French army was dictated by a) what was available and b) what the colonel of the regiment thought looked cool. So, within reason, you can paint what you like. Grenadier plumes, cords, epaulets etc were always red; voltigeur colours were red over yellow or green over yellow; and the fusiliers' pom-poms were a different colour for each company. Don't let it put you off.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net