'Strange' sayings & their derivations ?

Started by Techno, 08 March 2013, 07:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nellkyn

Quote from: SV52 on 08 March 2013, 12:45:29 PM
Any experts on medieval archery?  I'm sure there must be  ;)
I'm not an expert on medieval archery but I know a little bit. The term 'cock feather' wasn't used until the Victorian era of archery. 

Steve J

Lee at Wye Valley archery centre told us that it was medieval, but I could have remembered it incorrectly. Wouldn't by the first time and I doubt the last either!

Hertsblue

OK, the term "posh", meaning superior (with overtones of snobishness) was supposed to have been an acronym for "port out, starboard home", the optimum cabin booking for a sea voyage to the far east. But, I've recently seen the explanation de-bunked as P & O, the line that had a virtual monopoly on the run, have stated that they never ever used the term. Can't remember what the alternative explanation was though.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

ryman1

Following Techno's original naval theme - how about 'on the fiddle'.

It derives from the square wooden plates seamen ate from, the fiddle was a band of wood (a raised edge) nailed into the plates top edges to ensure that food didn't spill off when the ship rolled.
When a sailor tried to gather more than his alloted ration by bribing the cook with half a tot of rum(or whatever) he was considered to be 'on the fiddle' as his extra ration would have rested on and more oft than not spilled over the fiddle, hence the term 'on the fiddle'.

To clarify for our foreign friends - today in modern English, 'on the fiddle' means trying to get something you're not entitled to or attempting to come by goods in an underhand manner.

It may be a hybrid of celt, norse, latin, saxon, french etc and they have definitely added benefit, but taken alone, our language must be the richest on earth and aside from painting, it's definitely up there as a top interest.

Techno