epic 40k solo battle

Started by petercooman, 06 March 2013, 10:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

06 March 2013, 10:31:24 PM Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 10:43:09 PM by petercooman
Hey all!

Had the day off today, and while the kid was at school i wanted to get a solo scrap in. Problem was my game board is in my mom's attick so i had to do it on the dining table. Guess i will be investing in a battlemat after this  ;)

I was in for some bigger scale solo gaming than what i am used to. Normally i do skirmishes like LOTR, but i just wanted something bigger this time. With the germans for BKC still unpainted, and the acw troops still slowly progressing, i had to settle for epic 40k. Luckily i have enough painted up for a decent scrap, and i only had to use 2 unpainted bases so that pleased me   :P

Setup was like this:
The building in the middle was to be held to gain victory

ork deployment: right snakebite detachment (with 4 squigghots), centre right a deathskulls detachment!lots of big guns and 5 pulsa rokkits) centre left a nobz detachment in a battle fortress and left a speed freakz mob with 6 mekboy speedstas and 8 traks/buggies

space marine deployment: right half company of marines in rhino with 3 whirlwinds,next to it a baneblade, center 6 land raiders with terminators and 3 whirlwinds and left bike company with 2 attack bikes and 6 land speeders

turn 1:
orks and marines surge forward, no shooting.

turn 2
ork flanks go forward in an attempt to pincer...

but the speed freaks get shot up by the marines

The return fire however kills 4 marine heavy armour! in the background you can see the land raider that has been parked on the artillery piece by a mekboy lifta-droppa

The rest of the raiders and whirlwinds is not amused,killing all mekboy vehicles:

Rest of the board shoots each other a bit but not much happens

Turn 2:
The battlefortress and nobz decide to enter the fray, but the battlefortress gets wrecked instantly by the baneblade, while the marines obliterate the rest of the speed freaks. The raiders turn towards a new treath.

And this is where the orks lose the game i think. Having only one blast marker on them, they somehow fail their pinning test and fail to move. Had they been able to assault the bikes, they would have probably won the combat and flanked the rest of the marine force. Instead they got shot to bits by attack bikes and land speeders, wich were then in turn shot up by the deathskulls

lastly the land raiders shot apart two flakwagons that had entered the objective bulding

turn 3
right flank open, the marines mount up and move to outflank their enemy while the baneblade deals with the remaining spead freaks

the land raiders kill a battlewagon and a few infantry stands occupying the objective (there was a stormboys korps attached)

the squighots clear the ruin of bikers and speeders...

while the deathskulls deal with the raiders at long range

turn 4
the marines on an outflank maneuver get a surprise kill by one of the last objective occupants (who have withdrawn to the smaller part of the building)

while the remaining whirlwinds shoot the deathskulls with effect (the terminators shoot at the building's defenders)

turn 5
the marines dismount and trade fire with the deathskulls, both suffer losses

meanwhile the whirlwinds deal with the squighots, leaving only the warbass

turn 6 (by this time the banelade had taken the objective, so the orks probably couldn't win anymore)
the marines and orks trade fire again

And the whirlwinds from the land raider detachment finish it off.

game goes to the marines, although survivors are few:

All in all a great scrap!

Like i said before, orks lost it when a failed assault left them in a killing ground. The deathskulls put up a great scrap though! pulsa rokkits are awesome to delay your opponent.

The whirlwinds are the MVP's on the imperial side, having accounted for what seems half the ork army  ;D

Great funn, and next time i'm bringing in the air forces!

GordonY

Yep do love an Ork vs SM scrap but I use FWC as a ruleset, its much more solo friendly than Epic, the command mechanism can screw up even a well drilled SM force. Against that I also find that the Whilrwinds do most of my fighting for me, that and chucking a big ass dropship stuffed with assault marines at the Orky HQ.

petercooman

Well the big ass dropship is currently in the drydock, getting a paintjob  ;)

I like the epic 40k rules as a matter of fact, not too complicated, and generic enough to adapt to your liking.

And please don't tempt me to go and buy FWC, i need the money to buy a battlemat! Just look at the pictures!!   :'( :'(

nikharwood

Yep - I'm with Gordon here (unsurprisingly) - I was a real fan of Epic until Pete started development of FWC...I've not touched Epic since FWC playtesting  :D

Always great to have some quiet 'me' time when you can get solo scraps in though - nicely done Peter  8)

(you do need a battlemat though - have a look at a fleece 'throw' blanket - they are often really cheap...or poker felt bought by the metre...)

petercooman

06 March 2013, 10:58:19 PM #4 Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 11:02:11 PM by petercooman
Well i got a nice mat, then we got a dog  ~X(

So replacement it shall be. I've seen the fleece throw in your pictures. Wouldn't the 'hair' be a bit long for 6 mm figures?

And i won't buy FWC!! I need CWC first to do 'nam  :d

Edit: what i'm worried bout most for switching to FWC is the scale of the games i play. This much tanks in a bkc environment would bog the game don i think.This one i could finish in under 2 hours. And how does it work with the troop types? are they easily interchangeable?

GordonY

GW in their infinite "wisdom" decided that Pete couldnt call a Space Marine a Space Marine, a Land Raider a Land Raider, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nausem. So theyre all called summat else in the FWC lists, that number of tanks, bogging down, never! My mate Dave fields that number in our smaller games, my side has no tanks at all, just shedloads of very small walkers, which Dave concentrates his fire on while ignoring my infantry, which is usually his demise.

petercooman

Well our games of bkc tend to get bogged down by tanks, but that could be because we really use a shedload of terrain. Bocage asn't the most easy thing n tanks IRL too i suppose.

Kiwidave

Nice write-up Peter :)

Are you able to post some close ups of the SM figures? I've started painting my forces, and have gone with yellow as well - just wanted to see what colours you went with to compliment the yellow.

petercooman

12 March 2013, 10:03:29 PM #8 Last Edit: 12 March 2013, 10:05:02 PM by petercooman
Thanks!

I use black and metal for the guns and black and red for the emblem on the shoulder pads togheter with a red kneepad:

They are actually based on this: the marauder chapter, a succesor chapter of the white scars:

Techno

Great stuff Peter.
When you say you got a mat...then got a dog...What happened ?....Or is it the obvious answer ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Kiwidave

Thanks Peter - very helpful/informative :)

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 13 March 2013, 07:16:59 AM
Great stuff Peter.
When you say you got a mat...then got a dog...What happened ?....Or is it the obvious answer ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Well it's the obvious :)
It's sometimes amazing how high the buggers can get...
Ripped it in 2 (it was one of those railroad mats so very cheap, nothing to worry   ;) )

And you are welcome Kiwidave!

Techno

Quote from: petercooman on 13 March 2013, 10:52:42 AM
It's sometimes amazing how high the buggers can get...

You are preaching to the converted there Peter... ;D ;D
It's also not how high the little (?) oiks can get....It's the reach and paw scrabble they use to get at the cat plates that should be WELL out of range on the work surfaces.
We've also had to go to metal plates for the cats, as the plastic ones get chewed into oblivion if the dogs manage to get them on the floor. ;)

The swine !!  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Nosher

Great report Peter

I'd echo others sentiments that FWC is the way to go and if tanks bog the game down try the Hits stay on rule which speed things up
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

petercooman

I had a rabbit when i was younger, he had a plastic house in the pen that xas twice as big as him. Little rascal completely shredded  the house. i KNOW what you mean  :o

I'll thinl the FWC bit over some more  :P hits stay on sounds good though. More realistic.