AND THE WINNERS ARE!!!

Started by Leon, 06 March 2013, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Well done to all the winners. Some really stunning work on display 8).

Vulpine

Spot on all! Can't believe the quality. Outstanding.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

nikharwood

Quote from: andymac on 06 March 2013, 07:56:03 PM
A big Congratulations to the winners =D>, I had several sleepless nights over the judging :'(.

A big well done to all who entered :-bd

Lemmy I've found the headache pills but found a glass of single malt worked better.

Andy Mac

Likewise Andy - and I'm with you on the headache cure  :D

Some superb entries again this year - and I really enjoy the difficulty of judging all these (if that makes sense!) - great stuff  8)

Luddite

Personally i'd be very interested in hearing from you judges about why you chose the winners you did.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Steve J

As a full time modelmaker and designer I've found that my 'winners' often differ markedly from the judges.. It would be really interesting to hear what criteria (if any) where used, what did they like about the entry etc. to make them select them as winners.

General Bt Sherman

Congratulations to all the winners. Great work!

Bryan
Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

petercooman

Quote from: Steve J on 06 March 2013, 10:38:45 PM
As a full time modelmaker and designer I've found that my 'winners' often differ markedly from the judges.. It would be really interesting to hear what criteria (if any) where used, what did they like about the entry etc. to make them select them as winners.

Same here, there is stuff in there that i would never choose myself. Not saying it isn't good of course, but just not my style. I like painting more of a gritty stye, so naturally bright colours don't fancy me. One of the reasons i always delay the nap project  ;D ;D

Matt J

at the end of the day it is art so is very subjective, a certain style will be liked by one person and not another.

as a competitor it would be interesting to see what points each entry received (not necessary which judge scored what points)

another factor will always be the differing standard of photography but i'm not sure how that can be got around (he says wishing he'd traded in his 10 year old camera  :()
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

petercooman

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 06 March 2013, 10:51:30 PM
at the end of the day it is art so is very subjective, a certain style will be liked by one person and not another.

Yeah it's what i mean, didn't came out like that though :)

It's another story of 'to each its own' and to the jury the malt

:D :D :D

No seriously, all deserved to win without doubt!

Leon

For those who are interested, I've popped up the summary of the points allocated to each of the entries, along with some of the comments given by the Judges:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7097.0.html
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

I think Peter & Matt have hit the nail on the head regarding style.

One man's meat is another man's poison (If I can put it like that)
Certainly no poison in all these brilliant entries.....(You know what I mean ! ;) :))

We all have our own (let's use the word again) subjective ideas of what 'stands out'.

It WAS headache pills time !  ;) ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Yes, there are several entries that I would have picked as my winners. That said, I can understand why the eventual winners were picked and they are certainly worthy of the titles.

Perhaps the judges should be allowed to do what the Model Engineer judges used to do and allocate "Commended" and "Highly Commended" to deserving cases.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Jc

Great work,and well done to the winners, and all the other entrants who took part. I know that just picking up a paintbrush and taking part is good enough for me,though i must work on the photo side of things. Any hints?  Anyhow the hobby keeps me sane and allows me to dodge Tv "zombievacation" by the likes of big brother and j-kyle,which she who shall be obeyed must watch.

hetairoi

Congratulations to all the winners!
It was an honor to participate in the competition for the first time, and I am very happy with my results, considering the high level that we have seen in the entries (BH62, you are my new idol...)  =P~

Cheers!
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!

Sigur

Great work! The prices are very well deserved, congratulations! :)