AND THE WINNERS ARE!!!

Started by Leon, 06 March 2013, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

06 March 2013, 06:04:57 PM Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 07:27:03 PM by Leon
This year's Painting Competition had a huge 195 entries altogether, and the standard throughout was the highest we've seen so far.  As always, we'd like to thank every single person who took the time and effort to put an entry in, seeing the entries coming in each day was great fun, and showed just how much can be achieved in this scale.

8)

The Judges have had a fair old task on their hands as well this time around, with so many quality entries on show.  There were several categories where it was very tough to call, and a Top 5 or even Top 10 could have been compiled.

Just for info, each judge had 6 points in total to award.  3 points went to their 1st place choice, 2 points to their 2nd place, and 1 point to their 3rd choice.  The points from all 5 judges were added together to give us our winners and runners-up.

And so, without further ado, the winners are:

Foot - Pre-20th C. (32 entries)

This category had 3 entries fighting it out for the top spots.  One of the highlights for the judges was the exceptional detail on some of the detail, the tartans and striped trousers in particular.  Clean work, crisp details and going the extra mile all picked up points.  One member in particular entered several top notch bases, which split the judges decision and kept all of them outside the top 2!

1st place: AWI British, by kev1964 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and 2 sets of rules from Realistic Modelling / Realtime Wargaming!

2nd place: AWI Highlanders, by BH62 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Foot - 20th C. (12 entries)

This category had the lowest number of entries, and it had 3 clear favourites picking up nearly every point from the judges.  As with the Pre-20th category above, the detailing and camo patterns on show really won over the judges.  

1st place: WWII Germans, by whitejamest - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and £20 Credit from Too Fat Lardies!

2nd place: WWII Canadian infantry, by BH62 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Mounted (16 entries)

Despite the lower number of entries, this one split the judges, with several entries all gaining points.  There were two clear favourites though, with some clean painting, nice conversion work, and including a pic of your inspiration swayed the judges!

1st place: Seleucid elephants, by Hetairoi - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a subscription to 'Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy'!

2nd place: Austrian Hussars, by J.S. - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Vehicle (29 entries)

The vehicle category had some cracking work on display, and was a difficult one to judge.  Clean brushwork went up against realistic weathering, and the judges were split with their decisions.  One judge said he could have picked another Top 3 entirely, and still had justifiable winners, so close was the contest.  In the end, clean and effective work won out.

1st place: Flakpanzer, by BH62 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a copy of 'Battlefield' and 'Havoc' rules, courtesy of Bombshell Games!

2nd place: M12, by marshall1945 - wins £10 Pendraken credit, and their choice of an electronic edition/PDF of either HAVOC, The Battlefield, or Brent's new game!

Fantasy & Sci-Fi (30 entries)

This was a tricky one, as there was some real imagination on show here.  The judges were split over several entries, but all by 3 members, with the winning entry being a very an example of 'beautiful simplicity' as one judge put it.  The second place went to a great use of an interesting technique...

1st place: Manticore, by Annatar - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a copy of 'Battlefield' and 'Havoc' rules, courtesy of Bombshell Games!

2nd place: Ethereal Host, by Hetairoi - wins £10 Pendraken credit, and their choice of an electronic edition/PDF of either HAVOC, The Battlefield, or Brent's new game!

Open - Single Base (36 entries)

The Open category's were the hardest to judge in the entire competition, and had the greatest number of entries picking up points from the Judges.  The various artillery entries really stood out, and it was hard to decide which was better than the next.  By the time the points had been added up, only 4 points separated the top 5 entries.   The winner was decided by solid clean painting with nice little touches added to the base as well.

1st place: Falschirmjager 8.8cm, by BH62 - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and a Skirmish Carry Case from Figures in Comfort!

2nd place: Seleucid Scythed Chariot, by Hetairoi - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

Open - Anything Goes! (40 entries)

As with the Open - Single Base category, it was so hard to pick out the best three from this lot, or even the best five.  There was exceptional painting, nice basing, good imagination, and it took a lot of time to reach a decision here.  A lot of entries picked up points from the judges, but by the end there were two clear favourites.  Solid, coherent basing working with the fantastic figures was the order of the day!

1st place: Falkland's, by Dougie - wins £20 Pendraken credit, and £30 voucher from TimeCast!

2nd place: German Para's, by BH62 - wins £10 Pendraken credit!

And there they are!  A huge congratulations to all of our winners, we'll be contacting you each individually to get your prizes sorted out.  There was such a high standard of work this year that it was very difficult to pick out the winners, so thanks to our judges for their time, I certainly don't envy them their task!  

Also, thanks to everyone who has taken part, I hope you enjoyed it and that it at least helped motivate you to get some painting done!  

Coming up next will be the People's Choice Award, where all the entries who achieved at least a point (plus a few of my own favourites!) will go into a public poll to decide a winner.  The voting will run for 5 days, and at the end of that, the winner will receive a voucher for loads of Minibits goodies!  Please make sure to place your votes in this!

:-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nosher

Luvvly Jubbly and well done to all of the winners - very much deserved =D> =D> =D>

The bar just keeps getting higher and higher which speaks volumes in relation to the quality of the new ranges and new moulds. 90% of the entries this year would stand up in a 28's competition which is no mean feat.

Thanks to Team PD for hosting again and to those that donated prizes ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Sean Clark

Congratulations to all. Really stunning winners.

Maybe for the fifth anniversary we should have a champion of champions with all the winners over the years been put up against one another?
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well chosen winners! Well done everyone. :D :D :D :D :D

Can someone now find the judges some headache pills!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shedman

The paint jobs on all of them are incredible - well done

OldenBUA

Congratulations for all the winners, and a big thank you for all who participated! There were a lot of marvellous entries to be seen this year!  8)
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

petercooman

Congrats!

I am willing to give an extra prize to BH62!

I want to give you the honour of painting my '44 german army!!!  :D :D :D

Off course you will pay for shipping as the honour is prize enough  ;D

kev1964

Well done to all who entered, some brilliant work , and great fun to take part in. Big thanks to leon and all his team for doing this, great sculpts and great friendly forum for  a 10 mil newby . I,m celebrating now with a nice bottle of red, not that i need much of an excuse  ;D

cheers

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Luddite

Well done everyone.  Some exceptionally high quality this year so the competition was a tough one.

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd =D>
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

andymac

A big Congratulations to the winners =D>, I had several sleepless nights over the judging :'(.

A big well done to all who entered :-bd

Lemmy I've found the headache pills but found a glass of single malt worked better.

Andy Mac
Andy Mac
Andy Macs Photobucket - http://s347.photobucket.com/home/Andymacs

i_am_win

Well done to all the winners!! Some great stuff in there and deserving of the win!!

=D> =D> =D> :-bd
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Matt J

congrats to all winners  =D>

fantastic level of competition
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fred.

As I feared, the level of competition this year was too strong  :(

Congratulations to all the winners, some superb work on display - and well done to everyone who entered for making it such a good comp.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

irregularwars

Well done everyone. Especially Hetairoi who seems to have come away with 'Best in Show' there!
:-bd =D> =D> =D> =D> :ar! =D> :-bd :-bd =D> =D>

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Peritas

Congratulations really AMAZING

:D