Cold War Commander: BAOR v Soviets

Started by nikharwood, 03 March 2013, 08:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great report Nik, nice to know what can be done on the dining room table

2nd Wave I guess is the full armoured battalion for the sovs and two more cheiften tanks for the Brits?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mart678

Hi Nik
Are coldwar commander any good??
Cant wait to get my Danish Battlegroup out also my Soviet 20 x T64's also about that in Bmp1's also an airassault brigade but alas all in 15mm I even have 2 Mil 6 ,3 x mil 8's and an An26 for the airborne also a company of Naval infantry in Btr 60's

Martin

sebigboss79

Although I am not Nik and have not actually played CWC I can say I have only heard good about the rulesets (BKC, CWC and FWC). I have met the gentleman doing an alternative for FWC and he likes to compare his PDFs (wayyyy cheaper - NOT - than the single FWC rulebook) and lets just say the dislike was mutual.

Whereas my encounters with anyone connected with said rulesets is just positive as can be. Myself will definately get deeper in it once I have more space and time.

nikharwood

Well, I'm a big fan of BKC / CWC / FWC as they're essentially based on the Warmaster engine - I do have to declare an interest as I was involved in playtesting & some ofmy painting is featured in the books  8)

They're great though - fun, fast & furious  :)

petercooman

Well if it's as good as blitzkrieg commander then you can't go wrong!

It's a great ruleset for those times you want to execute your lieutenant as he just doesn't want to move, or when your major gets his troops to move all across the board and smash some hostiles in the run in one single turn.

I find it represents the fog of war in a great way, and also makes for interesting "how on erath did they do that" type actions once in a while. You know, like when troops go above and beyond on that rare occasion, breaking a battle right open!

If you like warmaster, you like these rulesets. I think Nik will agree  ;)

Edit: see he agrees, he beat me to it !!

Jim Ando

Hi
Played all sets quite a bit and have to say my favorite is fwc then bkc and cwc last.

The reason why cwc is last is U think he system struggles with the latter part of the period from the eighties onward as western tanks are impossible to knock out.

The latest version of an Abrams tank can save on a 2 or 3 or above on a d6 so a game can last all day when trying to kill those brutes.

Jim.

nikharwood

Quote from: Jim Ando on 04 March 2013, 11:52:38 AM
...western tanks are impossible to knock out.

The latest version of an Abrams tank can save on a 2 or 3 or above on a d6 so a game can last all day when trying to kill those brutes.

Jim.

Or not...

http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/w/page/7825473/Legionary%202007%2C%20Exeter%20-%20Gulf%20War%202003

http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/w/page/7825469/Gulf%20War%202003%2C%20Iraqi%20v%20US

With dice involved, anything's possible  :D

Si Tyler

What do dice have to do with anything ;)