Dealing with cold callers...

Started by Leon, 01 March 2013, 06:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 November 2018, 07:31:04 AM
Problem with the IP address one is that it's from a robot..

By which I assume you mean some sort of Auto Dialer, Ian ? :-\

To me...It seems that the wonkers (sic) set the dialer to target a particular area code....and keep churning out the particular area's  numbers completely randomly, so.......Mike (Ithoriel) is in a particular area code, so it's more likely that he'll keep getting pestered by these peasants...and they haven't reached the SW of Wales yet.

When I do get pestered a few times a week......It's not apparently always the same scam...It seems to vary.
But I'm sure it must be the same low life 'firm'...It's too much of a coincidence.

I always look up the number (if it appears) on 'who calls me' (I think) and leave a warning comment about the alleged number that's calling.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

17 minutes ... that's more like it.

I think that finally asking where the Start icon would be on my Amstrad 6128 would be may have given the game away that I was taking the piss.

Cup of coffee, doughnut and a nice chat.

Well nice chat until he threatened to come to "England", hunt me down and kill me.

I pointed out that if he had the time, money and resources to do that he probably wouldn't be calling me up to scam me.

He said,"True. F*** You anyway!" and hung up.

So, if I am found murdered any time soon you know where to point the police :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Good grief. X_X........Derrrrrr :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

It's taken me far too long to suss out the 17 minutes comment.

I think that's absolutely brilliant Mike. :-bd

I'm afraid I loose patience VERY quickly with these gits...and usually give them a load of very nasty abuse, so they hang up after a few seconds.
Alas.....I've also given a GENUINE caller the same treatment...For which I apologized at a later date.

Cheers - Phil

Cavillarius

'Microsoft' on the phone, a guy with a very British name, sounding suspicously subcontinental...
There's a problem with my computer.
Hang on, I'll start it up.
(This takes minutes, I utter reassuring sounds every now and then)
Nearly there...
Another minute or two (sorry it's a really old one!)
Ah, there it is!
I now have a screen that says 'Linux Ubuntu', what would you like me to do?
Line gets disconnected...

Next time they call, I'm an OAP who thinks 'Windows' is something to do with double glazing.

Techno

Love it !!

I still wish I had the patience to pee these wonkers about, like the rest of you. ;) ;D ;D

(I really must have a go next time.)

Cheers - Phil

Cavillarius

Mind you: it's not just for fun. Every minute you manage to take from them cannot be spent on tricking some gullible soul. It's a 'holding action', if you get my meaning...  ;D

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 22 November 2018, 05:43:52 PM
Love it !!

I still wish I had the patience to pee these wonkers about, like the rest of you. ;) ;D ;D

(I really must have a go next time.)

Cheers - Phil

Start off with the, "Could you hang on while I go and get Mrs Techno, please?* She handles this kind of thing."

..... then leave them waiting forever.

* She is good, by the way. I once tried a hoax call on Phil and she was sharp!    ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Depending on which phone she picked up, Davy....She might have even read that it was your good self !!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Cavillarius on 22 November 2018, 06:01:09 PM
Mind you: it's not just for fun. Every minute you manage to take from them cannot be spent on tricking some gullible soul. It's a 'holding action', if you get my meaning...  ;D

That is a VERY good point, C. :-bd

Cheers - Phil

capthugeca

I ask them how they can go home and sleep at night, knowing that they have spent their whole working day lying to people.
I have had one or two people apologise to me; I've also had one or two call me some choice names.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Fenton

There is a difference between cold calling and scams

Most of the caller's are just kids trying to make some extra cash by selling insurance etc. So a "I'm not interested thanks" I think is sufficient.

Maybe  annoyance is better redirected at the companies that sell your details to  the calling companies

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Orcs

If you have a cold collar iron the shirt just before putting it on.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GET OUT NOW !!!!! :D :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: Fenton on 25 November 2018, 08:13:26 PM
Maybe  annoyance is better redirected at the companies that sell your details to  the calling companies

Totally agree, F...But once the details are out there......... =)

Been hearing on the radio that the 'Tax Man's' warning about a big increase in scam calls, reputedly coming from them.
"If we don't hear from you or your solicitor.....blah, blah, blah......"

Just as a matter of interest......Do our friends from all around the World (Who don't have English as their country's first language)......not suffer as many scam calls ?

Cheers - Phil

Leman

These are the 'friends' the Brexit twonks want to set up trade deals with.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!