Dealing with cold callers...

Started by Leon, 01 March 2013, 06:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Nosher

Have you got time to talk?

Yep, you're paying the bill.

Then leave the phone off the hook whilst they ramble on.

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

nikharwood

sebigboss79

Way to deal with these people!  :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

Hertsblue

Only problem is you could be charged with impersonating a police officer. A fairly serious offence!  :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Last Hussar

Hello is that Mr G---- (assuming as my partner on their list was Mrs G----- I must be Mr G----)

No

May I speak Mr G-----

I hand the phone to my step-son

Five minutes later

I don't think I can afford that, I only get £5 pocket money.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Vulpine

Yeah, the "hold on a second, ill jut get him...." Then Ieave em for a while, I then pick the phone back up "you still there?..." If they are say, "sorry bout that, hold on one more minuet, ill just get him..." That's a good one, but if I'm in a really funny mood, especially if they ask me personal questions like, who do I bank with etc I like to ask,

"What are you wearing?"

Funny, some hang up, some actually tell me, I call theses guys a challenge, but once I go "oh! That sound really nice, are you wearing a __ too?"  If they a sure that I against say "ohhh nice" really fun

You see, Blackadder, I am a colossal pervert.
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

sebigboss79

Quote from: Hertsblue on 02 March 2013, 12:19:16 PM
Only problem is you could be charged with impersonating a police officer. A fairly serious offence!  :(

For such a charge to be made the cold caller has to admit cold calling you - and thus accept a 250,000 € fine by European Dictators in Brussels (sic!). In the US you have to sue them for harrassment - not aware they have laws against these pests yet but maybe one of our brothers across the pond can enlighten me?

I actually started insulting those people untill one told me he would sue me. I replied I am happy to see him in court if he fancies the question why they called me without explicit permission. Since that was 4 years ago I guess the gentleman has evaluated his legal stance and chances to win (insulting costs 50 € in Germany - standard rate) in the proposed court arrangement.

Techno

I know one older chap who keeps a referee's whistle by the phone.....and if it's a cold call he gives them a very loud blast !
Dunno about that....If he somehow damages someone's eardrum, could he charged with assault ?
Cheers - Phil.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Quote from: sebigboss79 on 03 March 2013, 08:36:33 PM
For such a charge to be made the cold caller has to admit cold calling you - and thus accept a 250,000 € fine by European Dictators in Brussels (sic!). In the US you have to sue them for harrassment - not aware they have laws against these pests yet but maybe one of our brothers across the pond can enlighten me?

Cold calling is not an offence in the UK, provided it's done before 9.00pm. Impersonating a Police Officer is contrary to Section 90 of the Police Act 1996 and quite often results in a custodial sentence.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

sebigboss79

Quote from: Techno on 04 March 2013, 08:11:47 AM
I know one older chap who keeps a referee's whistle by the phone.....and if it's a cold call he gives them a very loud blast !
Dunno about that....If he somehow damages someone's eardrum, could he charged with assault ?
Cheers - Phil.

Yes. Especially as assault is a "higher" offence than cold calling. Verbal insulting is not. So the choice is yours ;)