A big campaign in 6mm

Started by Sunray, 27 February 2013, 01:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

A carboot sale and a £2 bargin is a heap of H&R 6mm US Army WW2. Also some Modern Germans and US Vietman.  i had been building terrain for 6mm for a friend's diorama, so I thought "a real all element BIG campaign - land, air and...sea" The sort you can't do in any other scale without using the garden as the playing area and on a budget.

The scanario is loosely based on Portugal V India - the "fight" [sic] over Goa. Only I beefed up the conflict to a full blown war.

The old colonial Euopean power of Granada is in decline . The emerging Asian power of Hindia has just won independence from Britain.  A revolt has broken out on the Granada island colony of  Montarg whose  freedom movement want unity with Hindia

Christmas brought a collection of ebay ships - 1/400 aircraft carrier and Revell "fit the box" that have been blodged to 1/300 scale.
The Sea Venom fighers mix it with Shooting Stars &Thunderjets.

The game works on BKC rules with a few amendments for post war weapons.  I found Cold War Commander a little fuzzy in things like armoured protection and the range of vehicles lumped under a certain score. Most of the kit is WW2

Phase 1 is a counter insurgent war waged by the Granadian forces against the Montarg rebels

Phase 2 is the Montarg gaining the upper hand with Hindia support.

Phase 3  is war between Granada and Hindia

What I really miss is a 6mm equilivent of the excellent forum that Pendraken provides for 10mm.  No pool of good ideas, no Grumpy to source parts or kits.

Sunray

Steve J

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Yeah, looked like a house clearance- about a hundred  + Airfix 20mm  , some 1/76 tanks...and this plastic supermarket bag of 6mm.   The job lot was £5. I looked at the H&R and made my bid of £2 for the bag.  At current catalogue...about £30 worth of 40p vehicles and £10 of figures- most of which  were still on the sprue.   Now to that collection I have added £70 worth of new purchases to make coherent units - not to mention paint and basing.

I think it proves that carboot sales still beat ebay- if you see something you want....now how many months/years do I have to wait before some 10mm I want come up at such a sale ?

It reminds me of  the boxes of unused/unpainted 15mm I have gathering dust in the garage. Not to mention 1/100 aircraft.

Sunray

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Sounds like a great campaign, just the sort of Imagi-Nations area I like.

Quote from: Sunray on 27 February 2013, 01:20:19 PM
no Grumpy to source parts or kits.

Sunray

You're too kind, still I'm just flaffling around converting a truck to a bus and wondering how I'll convert something to a Norton and sidecar or just sculpt it myself.

I've been looking at the Franco-Thai war and wondering if I could do something similar and blow it up to something larger. Still I could look around and see if there's anything around that you need. Sometimes it's not the information, it's the drilling down that's the fun  :).

Quote from: Sunray on 27 February 2013, 04:37:15 PM
....now how many months/years do I have to wait before some 10mm I want come up at such a sale ?

Sunray

Don't know, how old are the members on the forum?  ;D ;D - Send not to know..... etc etc

Wondering if I can write an addendum to the will that I get buried with all the stuff I've bought and done nothing with  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Might need a larger burial plot  :P.

Cheers

Vic/GrumpyOldMan
( a man too frightened to add up how much all that stuff comes to)

petercooman

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 01 March 2013, 10:31:21 PM

Wondering if I can write an addendum to the will that I get buried with all the stuff I've bought and done nothing with  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Might need a larger burial plot  :P.

I would need an abbey courtyard to be my final resting place then  ;D

Sunray

Yes, I have to say I get as much fun scratch building and painting as I do playing.  Funny, when I bought the 6mm bag at the sale, the seller warned me that "they were far too small for kids to play with...and he was happy to get shot of them!"

Still shows that a lot of Joe Public still see wargame figures as children's toys.

Sunray

Hertsblue

Quote from: Sunray on 02 March 2013, 12:20:28 PM

Still shows that a lot of Joe Public still see wargame figures as children's toys.

Sunray

Think it's getting better though, Sunray. I don't get as many patronising smirks as I used to when I say what my hobby is. Some people even seem quite interested. Or, maybe they're just polite...
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

petercooman

Quote from: Hertsblue on 02 March 2013, 12:35:50 PM
Think it's getting better though, Sunray. I don't get as many patronising smirks as I used to when I say what my hobby is. Some people even seem quite interested. Or, maybe they're just polite...

Or maybe they are just afraid of the guy who wages war for a hobby  ;D ;D

nikharwood

Quote from: petercooman on 02 March 2013, 07:17:51 PM
Or maybe they are just afraid of the guy who wages war for a hobby  ;D ;D

:D

They've also clocked that gamers get the hot chicks  ;)

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: nikharwood on 02 March 2013, 07:19:00 PM
:D

They've also clocked that gamers get the hot chicks  ;)

But only when they're freshly cast, straight out of the mould - you have to be careful not to burn your fingers on the hot metal  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's either that or I've fallen into a parallel world that is far and removed from what I'm familiar with!!!  :P

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

nikharwood

petercooman