Austrian hussars for 1859

Started by Le Manchou, 25 February 2013, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Manchou

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Leman

They used to be available in the old range. I swapped mine with a friend as he was doing 1859 and I was doing 1866. You might consider the 1848 Danish hussars if you are needing something in a hurry. I use these for French 1859 hussars (My Franco-Prussian French get used in this conflict).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 27 February 2013, 09:08:37 PM
They used to be available in the old range. I swapped mine with a friend as he was doing 1859 and I was doing 1866. You might consider the 1848 Danish hussars if you are needing something in a hurry. I use these for French 1859 hussars (My Franco-Prussian French get used in this conflict).

They were in there at one time.

Or use the 1860 model. The only difference is a marginally taller shako in the earlier uniform.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Doesn't the 1860 model currently available wear the fur cap rather than the shako?

Hertsblue

Not sure that Austrian hussars ever wore the fur hat in the nineteenth century - except perhaps for officers in gala dress.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

In 1866 the shako was in the process of being replaced by the fur kutsma, so both can be depicted in 1866. For 1859 and 1864 stick to the shako. I think confusion may have come about because by WWI the Austrian hussars had readopted the coloured shako.

cameronian

Osprey is quite good dealing with the changes to dress and head dress that occurred during this period.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Dave Fielder

It's 10mm ... uniforms come and go and I always mix 1859-1864-1866-1870-1871 regulations across all nations. The battles will be so large in these periods it won't matter. Connoisseurs will be aghast, gamers simply roll the dice and enjoy.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Leman

Ithoriel

I'm with Dave, in 10mm and below, for me, what matters is that the players can tell what a figure represents.

The minutiae of uniform can often be amended with a simple "paint conversion."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

No way can a painted kutsma look like a shako.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 06 October 2014, 10:46:30 AM
No way can a painted kutsma look like a shako.

Clearly your eyesight is better than mine!  ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Dave Fielder

Who'd want to paint a Satsuma anyway?   :-\
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis