Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

We had 'thunder snow' at one point.  :)

I think that's the third time I've encountered that since we've been here.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lucky you, I've got to drive uphill to Dunstable tomorrow am.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Its not the snow, its the "to Dunstable".
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

whubble

No chance of snow here, 35.8 in Melbourne (Australia) .. not much joy with cricket either =)

FierceKitty

Quote from: whubble on 24 January 2021, 11:09:09 PM
No chance of snow here, 35.8 in Melbourne (Australia) .. not much joy with cricket either =)

That's what cricket's all about, sport!  ;)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ciovering of snow here this morning
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Don't think we've had any further snow......The little that thawed yesterday has frozen.

When the dogs went out yesterday they were leaving tracks.....This morning ?......They haven't made a dent in any of it.

I've almost certainly got the joy of walking into the village later  X_X.....(A few provisions, and post something up to Pendraken Towers)...The road itself might not be too bad later, but if I actually manage to get the car out, onto the road......I doubt I'll be able to get it back up the drive again. =)

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Frozen snow and ice everyhwere here, but the sun is out and it's all rather lovely :).

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

I did walk on it to the shops and back and it was OK as it was several degrees below zero, so not slippery. Now I'm sure it's a rather different matter.

fsn

So 2020 2021 is the year of Nobby's Napoleonics.

I have a system, for I am full of cunning, and so wise that I am mistaken for the straight man of a well known 1970s comedy duo.

Start with the easy ones. For Napoleonics, that is usually the line infantry, then alternate between the peacocks and the pigeons.  That means I will do something like line infantry, cavalry, line infantry, artillery, line infantry ...   you get the idea. I have been very nervous of painting the Napoleonics, because I have not been sure enough of my brushwork. However, I am not getting any younger and the task isn't going to get easier so in I went.

I am going for a brigade level game. This gives me biggish units - a ratio of about 1:10 - so a British infantry battallion of 600 is 60 figures. I chosen this because I think handling a line 30 figures wide is going to be a more interesting proposition than handling a line say 12 figures wide.  Consequently, my artillery batteries are 2 guns (I nearly made it 3) but I've added ammunition wagons to each, to make them more bulky and unmanageable. I've also gone for a 6 man crew, and used the extra guns as a separate piece that can be put on the limber to show the battery is in action. (See the limber in the middle ground.)

So here is my first Napoleonic effort of 2021. A 6pdr RHA battery. It's still short one limbered gun ... but that's on order.

Up next, a British infantry battalion.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

They look very nice FSN.

If you should choose to do Austrians I have been very pleased with the GW Contrast white (Pause while Orcs washes his mouth out with soap and water)   :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

Thanks chaps.

Orcs, Austrians are very much on my mind - but the white on white is off-putting. Contrast paints may well be the way to go.  I have Wurttembergers, Bavarians, Prussians and Brunswickers to paint. Austrians and Russians are on my list. The one army I am finding it difficult to get excited about is, ironically, the French. Aside from the Carabiniers - and two regiments of heavy cavalry doth not an army make. 

Maybe by the time I get this lot done., Pendraken would have done some Swedes, so I look to Leipzig.  :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!